9 - Knock on the Door

Sophie let out a sigh and then there was a soft knock on the door. She promptly opened it and for a second was taken aback because there was absolutely stunningly beautiful Japanese woman in front of her.

So definitely not his mother.

"Um, hello, you must be Hanyu-san's sister, right?"

She smiled at her but the lady was looking back at her with unspeakable hurt in her eyes and tears slowly began to roll down her cheeks.

"N-No. I am his wife."

"WHAT?!" Akira cried out and Sophie just stood there staring at the woman no sound coming out of her.

"I am so sorry to be bothering you, Mrs. Watanabe, but could we--" her voice broke down and she quickly gasped, trying to push the tears away, "could we talk, please?"

Sophie was still lost for words and merely nodded at the lady opening the door wider for her to come in.

"But Yuzu isn't married!" Akira pulled on Sophie's sleeve and that finally brought her back to reality, switching into the mum-mode. She squatted down to his level and ruffled his hair with a smile.

"Well, just because he doesn't talk about it doesn't mean it's not true, Aki. But can you do me a favor? I will have a talk with the lady but can you wait downstairs, please? You can again help at the reception sorting the morning mail, I am sure they will be happy."

"Why can't I wait in my room?"

Because you love to eavesdrop and I have no idea how this is going to go?

"No Questions Asked, Aki." He huffed, crossed his arms but then rolled his eyes and nodded, going for his things. Sophie meanwhile called down to the reception to let them know she is sending him down and if they can keep an eye on him.
Akira returned back, scanning the lady up and down as he was passing her by and narrowing his eyes at her. She tried to smile back at him but the moment she did, he turned away.
Sophie took his hand and stepped outside into the hallway, closed the door behind her, and again squatted down to his level.

"Aki, you know that Hanyu-san and I are just friends, there is nothing bad about him having a wife."

"I know." He muttered and hung his head but Sophie lifted his chin up.

"But considering they are obviously keeping it secret for whatever reason, can you please promise you won't tell anyone?"

"But why wouldn't he say he is married?"

"I don't know. But it's none of our business. So can you please promise me you will not say anything to anyone no matter what?"

"Yeah, I promise."

She gave him a quick kiss on his forehead and thanked him, and Akira then strode angrily down the hallway towards the elevator.
Sophie turned back to her door, entered the code to let herself in, and took a deep breath, trying to stay calm for as long as possible.

Here we go.

The lady was standing in the middle of the spacious room, looking around in awe and doing her best to stay collected and avoid bursting into tears. As soon as she noticed that Sophie was back, she turned to her with an apologetic smile.

"My name is Hanyu Tamiko." She bowed slightly and nervously put her hair behind her ears. "I am....I am sorry that I....I just needed to know, you know?"

Sophie stood several meters away from her, thinking if she should offer her to sit down and have a coffee, just simply having no idea what should somebody do in this situation. Seemed the lady also had no idea, being it more of a spontaneous visit, and was trying to figure out what to do now. She scanned Sophie up and down, with no malice in her eyes, and stopped on her face with an expression of a completely broken woman.