Thirty-nine.

I twist and turn in bed, unable to sleep. I went to bed at 10 p.m., and it is now 2 a.m., and I have yet to fall asleep.

What brings me here? I'm quite sure I can get out of here if I want to. I can even kill them all at the same time. But what's holding me back? I'm still here for some reason.

But what reason?

I sigh and get up to retrieve a vibrator from my drawer. Perhaps this will serve as a distraction. I took off my pants and started fantasizing about him touching me instead.

The vibrator then goes off. I grumble as I try to open it again, but it won't budge. The battery is running low. I fling it around the room.

What is it in him that I don't see in any other guy? Perhaps he is right. Maybe I'm just desperate. But I've never fawned over a guy. I never let a man command me before shooting him twice in the head.

Despite this, I've let him hit, yell at, touch, and torture me. And I didn't do anything. I can't abandon myself to him. There were no men, and there were no distractions.

It is better to stay like that.

We are sworn enemies anyway.

I'm thirsty. As I hear moaning coming from Evelyn's room, I slowly open the door and tiptoe downstairs.

I swear, this girl has a different male in her room every day.

I switch on the lights and open the refrigerator. This home contains enough food to feed a country. Just as I'm ready to turn off the lights and return to my room, I notice Kenji asleep on the floor.

Jesus Christ.

I can hear Massimo's voice in the back of my hand saying "aren't you an atheist?"

I had the impression that he was dead, and I didn't like the terrible feeling that gave me. But then I notice him quietly snoring.

Is he sleeping on the kitchen floor? He's most likely drunk again. I'm not sure what's wrong with him, but he has issues.

I think I'll leave him here and return to my room. His neck and back, on the other hand, will hurt him in the morning. As if I give a shit.

I can't just leave him here.

"Kenji. " I nudge his cheek with a whisper, but he doesn't respond. "Kenji." I try again, slapping his face and causing his eyes to open.

He's got a goofy grin on his face. I could tell he was intoxicated. But even when he's drunk, his smile never fails to bring a smile to my lips.

"Stand up." I give my instruction, and he listens intently, leaning heavily on me as I battle to keep him motionless. "Listen, you're going to have to help me in this," I say as I'm holding him close, He responds with a hum but does nothing else.

I won't be able to take him up the stairs. And the elevator is going to make so much noise.

"You're beautiful." He slurs As he tickles my hair behind my ear. "That is lovely, but I wish you were sober." I say knowing that he won't remember it in the morning.

I quickly recall that there is a sofa bed in the sitting room. Maybe I should just leave him there till morning, and he'll get up on his own.

"All right, let's get started." I assist him in walking to the living room and placing him on the sofa. I pull blankets and pillows from the closet and remove his shoes, leaving him with only sweatpants.

I pull the blanket over him and try to get up once I'm confident he's in a comfortable position, but his hand stops me. "Stay." He says While his eyes are still closed.

"You should probably get some sleep because you're drunk." I decline. "Please," he begs. "Okay."

Only for 5 minutes.

I sat next to him, his hand around my waist, his head on my chest, his nose nestled in my neck.

I stopped breathing all of a sudden. "Hold me." He sighs. My hands, on the other hand, do not move. I'm still stunned by everything that's going on, and I'm sure he'll be furious in the morning.

"Just for tonight, please." In a vulnerable tone, he whispers. I give in and allow my hands to hold him and keep him close to my body. "Only for tonight." I whisper back.

When he falls asleep, I'm going to go as if I'd never been with him in the first place.

But sleep gets to me first.

5 more minutes, I say.