Seventeen.

Kenji's POV

"Assume your positions." I talk through the earpiece, "are you ready Massimo and Vince?" I ask, "yes, boss." They replied at the same time.

I double-check with the rest of the team to ensure that everyone is in their proper place; nothing should be out of place.

"Athena, are you re-" I turn to ask her a question, but she's nowhere to be found; what the fuck she was just here? "What are you doing, boss women?" Massimo hisses. I saw Athena striding in front of the warehouse as if she owns it.

This woman will be the end of me.

"Athena hurry up and get back here!" That makes my blood boil as I snap into the earpiece and see her yank it off and hurl it in the ground from afar.

She walks through the side window, inspects it, and then slams the door down; she's dead meat.

No one dares to pursue her; everyone is waiting for my signal to act, but I'm stuck in the middle, unsure whether I should follow her or wait and see what she can do on her own.

10 minutes move by we hear 2 gunshots, "I hope that's for her." Vince chuckles deeply into the earpiece, "unfunny." Massimo scolded him.

Massimo and Athena had become increasingly close over the days, to the point where Massimo frowns at her and she becomes irritated and tries to avoid him. After Clara, it's the first time I've seen Massimo be so honest with someone.

After 30 minutes, we hear someone yelling, "Group A stride ahead." I inform them while grabbing my weapons and following them into the room.

As I was ready to admonish Athena for leaving without my permission. I nodded to my men to take Liam away, and just as I was about to do give her my peace of mind, Massimo tackles her to the ground.

Always with the bad timing.

When they're done hugging, Athena tries to rise, but I don't allow her time to catch her breath; instead, I slam her against the wall, keeping her wrist over her head.

"Are you deaf? Dumb? Crazy? Why didn't you listen to what I said? "IT'S POSSIBLE YOU WERE KILLED!" I vent my frustration on her.

"I-" she tries to talk over me but I don't give her a chance, I'm done with her bullshit. "Enough with your sour attitude, Athena! I've only done my best to be patient with you!" I scold her like a parent.

This time she is quiet. Nothing to say; for a single second, I feel awful for yelling at her in front of everyone. she isn't family, and I shouldn't be concerned about her.

"Hey, man, I think she's figured it out now." Vince comes up behind me and pulls me away from her, but I refuse to move, his grasp tightening. I move to the side to calm down. She hisses softly, but I hear her, and I notice a large bruise forming on her wrist, which I was holding.

I did that.

Something twists in my gut; I'm not sure what it is, but I despise it. She exits the warehouse, and we arrive at the estate a few minutes later.

Tonight, I was intended to tell Athena the truth about her parents, but she forgot and went straight to her room.

I'm not sure how she'll handle it; she puts up a brave face in front of everyone, but she's hollow on the inside. It's as if there's nothing else except darkness, you can see it in her eyes.

Years ago, I liked her. Now, I don't. But I doubt she recalls it. I just need to get to Vladimir and kill him before killing her for personal reasons.

This isn't the first time Athena and I have met; we've done so before.

There was a knock at the door, and I looked at my watch on my table, which read 2 a.m. "come in." Massimo enters with Vince immediately behind him.

Massimo and Vince had been my best friends since we were children, our families had a tight relationship. I made them both my right-hand men, and I trust them to get things done correctly if anything goes wrong.

Massimo is computer smart, hacking, and all that nonsense. Vince is a street-smart guy who knows how to use weapons.

And I was all of the above at the same time.

They are both completely silent in front of me. "Massimo, what's that look on your face?" I'm a touch tipsy from the wine," what look?" He replies puzzled "The look that makes me want to punch you," There's something wrong with him since he's never this quiet.

He's a chattering animal.

He taps Vince on the shoulder urging him to speak up; Vince shakes his head blankly. "You can either talk or leave." I'm not going to put up with these infantile antics.

"Are you going to tell her?" He wonders "Am I going to tell her what?" I'm completely oblivious to what they're talking about. "About her past..." he murmurs.

"You'll have to be more explicit so I understand." I sigh "About what happened between the two of you," This time he talks louder.

What?

"How do you know anything about our past?"I say completely sobered up "Well when you're drunk, you normally talk about that girl you once abandoned and how you want to locate her, so I put two and two together, and bam," With a foolish smile on his lips, he explains.

I don't think I'll ever talk about that with her.

"Vince, summon Athena to my office." I make a request. Vince nods and walks out of the room, ignoring Massimo's previous statement. I return my gaze to Massimo, who appears to be deep in thought.

Vince and Athena returned to my office a few minutes later.

My heart skipped a beat when I saw her in booty shorts and a tank top that revealed her belly piercing. Focus.

"Athena." I greet her more gently this time, she acknowledges me with a nod. "As a result, I'm going to get right in. "You've been adopted." I express bluntly.

She casts a peek at Massimo before returning her gaze to me "excuse me. I'm not following." She clears her throat, I've said it enough.

"That means you're not their child, Athena," I clarify
. "Could you please explain the whole thing?"She asks again

Is she deaf?

"They kidnapped you when you were a newborn," I said after taking a long breath.

Her eyes widen and she takes a step back as if struck by something.