Chapter 25

Work in the Facility proved to be the opportunity I needed; a route to market that became far more complex than a feeling. An itch scratched, an arm lacerated, it was akin to reaching the summit after years of climbing mountains. Throughout my life, I've maintained the belief that fairy tales give young girls false expectations, yet here was I; Cinderella trying on that lost slipper. We were the perfect fit; now all I needed to do was locate my Prince.

I took the passkey Brahm left me without hesitation. Even if my worst fears were to be confirmed on this day, at least my journey would end. I shouldn't tire I know, but so much disappointment in so many years of searching has left me exhausted. Win or lose, there is but one final round.

I move through the building freely, descend the stairwell without a thought for how my movements may be tracked. I barely pause at the annex; I've seen it before and from Brahm's description, I will need to delve deeper if I am to leave this place in the absolute certainty there is nothing more of interest. Brahm instructed me to ignore the retina scan, to swipe the small plastic card across the face of the sensor which I do. I hear three sharp beeps before the door slides back.

The cold feels like a punch in the face; the temperature inside the Coach House is baltic, an explanation for the numerous air conditioning units that were transported down here during those inaugural days. It's exactly as Brahm described; rows of steel laboratory tables to my left and right, containing anatomical structures I recognise as human organs. Housed inside bell jars, submerged in a clear liquid; some are artificially invigorated. A rhythmic noise drives the pair of pink lungs to my left, which keep pace with the inflation and deflation of these spongy, inverted cones.

I am the centre piece, in a room decorated with glinting metal and glass, bursting with life extension components. Unconventional breakthroughs; fascinating firsts that will change the future of transhumanism, but none of these things are what I came here for. I quash the effervescence of doubt beginning to whip up inside me, the room is refusing to yield more but I cannot accept that this is all there is. I quicken my pace between the rows of curiosities searching for another exit; an entrance to the work that consumes Lars, body and mind down here. Nothing around me merits the subterfuge, the level of secrecy he maintains surrounding this part of the Facility. These experimental organs are mainstream, at least in a laboratory setting. He would need more, much more.

And there it is.

An area in the stone that is slightly lighter than the rest of the walls. My knees threaten to give way; I reach out to support myself, too weak to fight the breathing which comes hard and fast. Almost imperceptible, but it is there, the faint outline of an ingress behind a table which amongst other things, supports a floating embryo. The collection of cells that form this mess of me are magnetizing, compelling me towards it and as I do, it becomes clear this is an entrance to another room. But I am not alone.

    'Evangeline.'

I don't want to turn and look at him; the door is so close I can almost touch it. This cannot be snatched away from me now. If needs be I will die trying, but I am entering that room.

    'I'm a little disappointed, I'd expected to find you down here sooner.'

He's not going to stand and watch me enter his chamber of secrets; I will not leave. I buy a fragment of time, cursing myself for not being quicker. Another ten seconds and there would have been nothing to see here but an empty space.

    'Lars, you gave me a fright. The door was open.'

    'How unusual, normally I'm so meticulous about protecting this area. As you can see Evangeline, we are surrounded by new life; possibilities beyond the imagination of some, secrets of which I am the custodian.'