008. } 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝙘𝙤𝙣𝙨𝙚𝙦𝙪𝙚𝙣𝙘𝙚

"Michael

"Michael." Rosalina whispered shakily, feeling a surge of adrenaline rush through her veins. She watched Michael pull a string between the floorboards, an incognito entrance being opened as a staircase that lead to darkness taunted her in silence.

"Come on, it's going to be okay."

"No, but Bradley and Calum-"

"Hey listen to me." Michael grasped me by the shoulders, peering into my eyes. "You need to pull it together, trust me. They are going to be okay."

Rosalina locked eyes with him in utter fear, jumping slightly at the sound of the door slamming open from the front of the hideout. Without another thought, she took a hand he offered, as Michael lead her down the steps, quietly closing the entrance door from above.

Slight sunlight peaked from the floorboards above, she shakily holding a hand to her mouth. With everything in her, she hoped that Bradley and Calum would be okay, but if a single mistake managed to slip by, these troopers wouldn't hesitate to shoot as retaliation if they were suspicious to Rosalina hidden right below them.

At that very moment, Bradley stared at the troopers just as stoically as their masks did, Calum standing in front of her with his arms crossed.

"Last time I recalled, I didn't ask you to come inside." She said, her blue eyes cold as ice.

"We don't have time for this. The princess is missing, and it is our duty to bring her back to safety." One of them said in a robotic tone.

Bradley had to fight from scoffing right then and there, keeping a straight face as she glanced at Calum and then back at the two troopers who stood there, laser guns in hand.

"So answer this now, did you happen to see the princess yesterday night or where she could've gone?"

"We can't lie." Calum shrugged coolly, bringing his shoulders up in defense. "We saw the princess at 'CONTROL, ESCAPE having a drink, and we left because it was too loud, and we were exhausted."

Bradley's breath hitched, when a trooper took a step forward towards her intimidatingly.

"Was that the truth, Miss Tilly?"

Bradley fought the urge of tears to spill, gritting her teeth angrily. "It's true."

Without another word, troopers began to search her home, stepping into the hallway as she exhaled, Calum taking her into a hug. She leaned her forehead to his chest, trying to level her breathing from the anxiety attack that was about to happen.

"You did great. Okay?" He reassured her as she nodded.

Rosalina stood there, staring at Michael. He had looked at her with the saddest eyes, but he trusted that Calum and Bradley had it covered. Without another word, footsteps receding and the sound of a slammed door had been the biggest relief to them.

With tears in her eyes, she had sobbed, feeling her heart wrench at the realization that her actions to leave followed with consequences from the kingdom. There was no telling what troopers did to others who they've interrogated.

"I'm so sorry." She murmured, guilt filling her void soul.

"This isn't your fault. None of this is your fault, Rosalina. Please don't tell me you believe that." Michael had cupped her face, making sure her eyes met his.

"But this is. If... If I hadn't left, Bradley wouldn't have to face those troopers. Not again. Not after what happened to her parents when she was younger. This is nothing but a rebellious act in their eyes, in my parents eyes."

"Tell me, is this? Is this really all just a rebellious act against the king and queen's will."

Rosalina stayed silent, quietly shaking her head. "No. But I didn't know it'd be this way. Not for a pair of sneakers."

"You're going to get those sneakers. And you have nothing to regret. Look, troopers will evade every part of this damn city, because they can. Because they think we're low lives who steal, it's just what has come of it. The division of the people. You have nothing to feel disgrace over."

"Okay." She sighed, pursing her lips, when she realized their faces were close in proximity. "This is my reason to stay."

"What is?" He asked.

Before she could respond, the sound of the main entrance creaking open, made Michael and Rosalina step back from each other, turning to where Bradley and Calum had looked at them from the top of the staircase.

"The assholes are gone." Calum finally spoke up.

"Are you okay?" Rosalina asked Bradley with sheer concern lacing her soft voice.

"Of course I am. Look, I'm not afraid of those pricks. I promise, Rosalina." She reassured her, nodding once. "It's nothing I can't take."

"We're going to need weapons." Calum said with grit, all heads turning to the blue haired boy. "There's no telling when those troopers will come back for us. We have to be ready."