002. } 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝙬𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙨

Rosalina stood by her doorframe, face red from frustration at what her parents were saying, the words leaving their mouths, hypocrisy lacing their tones

"I can't leave the kingdom for a pair of converse, is that what you're really telling me mother? Because I'm not five years old, and I am clearly capable of taking care of myself."

"That is exactly what I said, Rosalina."

"This isn't a dictatorship mother." She scoffed, nearly gripping at the roots of her hair as she held back the urge to burst into tears. "You know I've never went beyond those walls since birth, since you and father ruled."

"Christopher, will you tell your daughter she's being quite dramatic. Everything you've ever needed has been right here, provided to you-"

"On a silver platter, silver spoon-fed right to me. That was never discovering things on my own, and you know that mother. I want a pair of comfortable sneakers, not all the diamonds that this world has to offer, and you know it isn't anything personal. Maybe this... Michael Clifford, has the ticket, right to this world I seek to see."

"Michael Clifford is a criminal, and a thief who deserves to be imprisoned. Only criminals as deceiving as this man and his accomplice would know how to get past those walls, that's what the balance hangs on." Elizabeth Slater frowned, wishing her daughter wouldn't dwell on parts of the galaxy that ruined its reputation.

Feeling anxious, Rosalina exhaled, fiddling with her satin dress. She never stood up to her parents this way, perhaps it's exactly why she hadn't if it'd turn out to be like this.

"Don't you figure that we see this galaxy more as a reflection of royalty than what we've fought for?"

"And what is it you're trying to imply?" Her father frowned, a crease in his eyebrows.

"The troopers, what is the need of weapons at a coronation? At a celebration for the Neptune race?"

"The reason that there are criminals who wish to steal our riches, thinking they'll get away with-"

"Power does not derive from deterring the unfortunate. It should have never been that way, and for all we know that could have been the rubble of our neighboring galaxies." Rosalina felt her heart lurch at the idea that perhaps the damage was within how mother and father chose to rule. "You outline a box around those who wish to break from these silent shackles."

"You are to stay in your room to contemplate about this further, but end of discussion. You are never to cross that borderline to the outskirts of the east, Rosalina. The judges will determine the punishment for these no good hooligans." Elizabeth gazed at her husband who had an unpredictable expression on his face.

"The way we rule is none of your concern Rosalina."

"Well as a beacon of hope as you'd like to always call me father, I'd like to actually do something about the countless number of imprisoned rogues who claim to be a part of the Alliance; that deserved better than what they got."