Chapter 13- William Returns

I heard a familiar voice in my head. 'Don't disappear! You're supposed to be their guardian angel!' It was my voice. My previous life's voice.  I'm right. I can't die.

My little subconsciousness helped me open my right eye as slowly as possible, squinting at the bright light in front of me.

"She's waking up!" I woman said. I am? Aren't I supposed to be dead? Lyoko is gone! I know that they rebuild it but it won't be the same. All the data will be lost, right? What kept me alive in the first place?

Out of my eye, I saw my mother crying. "Mum..." My voice was hoarse; eww. I should like a goat.

"Ruby!" she screamed. "I thought I would lose you!" I gave her a smile.

I stayed in the hospital for a good couple of hours until someone visited me. "Ruby?" Yumi asked. The Lyoko warriors had come to visit me. My mother left us alone so we could catch up. "How are you holding up?"

"Great," I said.

"Why did you collapse?" Aelita asked with a worried expression.

"My avatar. XANA bugged it, remember? I was connected to the core of Lyoko. And once that was gone..." I said quietly . "I'm supposed to be dead."

"We rebuilt Lyoko," Jeremie explained. "That might have woken you up."

"No. All of my data must have been deleted. Something else saved me..." I tried to think but my brain wouldn't cooperate.

"Don't try to think about it. With the new and improved Lyoko, we'll debug your avatar," Ulrich reassured me.

"And find William on the net," Odd added. "That is, until Einstein finds a way to get us into the net."

"I'm sure he can do it. After all, Mrs Einstein will help him, no?" I looked at Aelita, whose cheeks became tinted red. "Williams gone... for now. I know you'll bring him back."

"Do you mean that literally or morally?" Jeremie asked.

"Both."

I spent the rest of the week in the hospital, waiting to be discharged. While I waited. I gave Jeremie a design of my new avatar. If everyone else got one, so do I. At first he was reluctant but he eventually agreed to it, thanks to Aelita.