{18}- Greed and Gluttony | To Counter Time's Stillness

Start from the beginning

As Lye rushed towards me, I ran away and towards the area behind Regulus, away from the diamond dome that I put Crusch and Rem in. I left some holes for breathing, so they'll be okay for now, at least.

The second that Lye, Regulus, and myself were all in the area, I slammed both my palms down onto the floor, and looked at Alchemis to make sure he's ready, and chanted the spell that caused the Permafrost of Elior Forest.

"Domain of Frost- Absolute Zero"

···

As the words were said, immense mana poured out of Alchemis. And then, within a 100-meter-radius circle, everything was frozen as a vacuum was created, and everything froze in place including Lye, who was moving at around 10 times the speed of sound, stopped as the temperature dropped to Zero degrees Kelvin, where for that moment, within the dome, even the universe's thermal expansion was frozen.

This spell, known as Emilia and Puck's trump card, was easily imitated by a boy who had no knowledge on magic until a few months ago.

Of course, the whole purpose was not the beat the Archbishop of Greed, but rather, to put both onto an even playing field.

The Archbishop of Greed waved his arm, and a blade of wind manifested as it went towards Y/N. However, when it touched him, it only had the force of a breeze of regular wind.

"Huh?" Regulus yelped in surprise, shocked that the boy had been able to counter his attacks twice, using two different techniques, as well.

*** Intermission ***

Absolute Zero

The spell is supposed to freeze the temperature in an area to absolute zero, namely, zero degrees kelvin. At this point, all molecules stop moving and any signs of motion is ceased. Everything is frozen and nothing can move. Even Regulus' ability, is nullified. Since he imbues the objects with his ability, which stops the objects time, is no use in an environment in which time is stopped. The objects would only behave normally in an abnormal environment. Rocks, pebbles, water, and wind are useless in the presence of this domain. Although Regulus can survive being inside it, he could not escape, move freely, nor attack in the way he used to.

*** Intermission End***

"What... what did you do?" Regulus asked me, shocked that his attacks do not work anymore. He even kicked up dirt and used his authority, but it only flew forwards a few meters before it was stopped.

"Your ability is the Stillness of an Object's Time, correct? That only does devastating damage when the environment is normal. However, it is simply useless in the face of an environment that has the same properties." I explained as he looked at me, clearly perplexed. "For example, usually, when you stomp on the ground, it would be destroyed, correct? Feel free to try it now."

Regulus listened, and tried his usual destructive stomp. Contrary to his beliefs, the ground stated the same as it ever was, and looked to me in disbelief.

"No! This... this is a violation of my rights! You cannot defy my authority like this! To do that is to violate my right to have an authority, and therefore my usage of the authority, which belongs to me!"

"Regulus, you told me that you had to heed the word of the gospel and decided to attack me. When one attacks another, it is only fair to also respond with another attack, to return the favour. I'm only doing what you did in return. And also, since you did not do harm to me, I did not do harm to you either."

Regulus might be insanely egocentric, but he is one who values logic and rights. Although he does not notice it, many times he is quite hypocritical. The only reason that he did not realize it is since he always destroyed whoever was conversing with him, since no one can successfully defend against his authority until now.