⤜Chapter-4⤛

Bette puts a blue necklace around my neck

Bette puts a blue necklace around my neck. I glance at myself in the mirror. I look completely different. Bette has done my makeup in such a way that my eyes looked smaller, my cheeks looked sleeker and my lips have become plumper.

Bette and I talked for a long time over the last two days. I had come to know that she was just three months older to me. She had even given me a tour of un luogo magico today. The place was so huge, probably 10 times the size of my mother's castle or about a 1000 times the size of my room.

It had been so long since I had freely talked to someone.

I was wearing a blue gown, the same colour as my necklace and Bette was wearing a green one. We were doing each other's make up in Bette's room and disguising each other in every way possible.

I looked unrecognisable, except for my antlers. How was I even supposed to cover them?

We hear a knock on the door. Bette goes and opens it, while I try to disguise my antlers with a piece of cloth, but in vain.

"You both look wonderful, dear.", I hear Merida say in a motherly tone.

I turn around to see her in a maroon gown. She has changed her appearance. She looks our age. She has also changed the colour of her hair from black to blonde. The perks of being an ormagon.

She tilts her hand and two ribbons magically appear in her palms. They are the same grey ones that we both had worn two days ago.

"Put these on your...", she looks towards them with a mixed expression.

"Antlers", I finish the sentence for her and give her a rueful smile. Then, I tie the ribbons on my antlers. To my surprise, they disappear.

I stare at myself in the mirror for a while.

How beautiful I look without them! I look nothing like my mother.

"These ribbons can make the thing they are tied around invisible. Except for hair. When the ribbons are used to tie the hair of a person, it makes the entire person invisible.

She pauses. "You should keep them. I see that you need them more than I do."

I give her a gratuitous smile.

In a few minutes we leave Un Luogo Magico and travel by our brooms. To travel out of the long hole, we had to fly up. Apparently, there's a mechanism that allows the person standing in the middle of the hole to be dragged upwards and outside. However, balancing is the key, and Bette and I hold Merida's hands in order to reach outside. 

I think Bette only holds Merida's hand to make me feel good about myself.

I could have flown up using polvere, a magical powder; something I had gotten years ago, which helps me to fly. I try not to think about it too much.