Chapter 16~Not Yet

I hear yelling outside my room and my heart drops. I shoot up in bed and scare Pluto awake, he bolts away and mews in confusion on the floor. I apologize to him and reluctantly pull myself out of bed, quietly tiptoeing across my floor and leaning against the door.

"We have to tell her eventually, she's going to find out anyway and I'd rather her be prepared for the shit-storm that's coming! It's almost here, I can feel Her getting closer!"

"I know, but at least finish teaching her lessons first. I'm telling you right now she's not ready! Not to mention that Adalricus has been not-so-subtly dropping hints to her about the prophecy, which was never part of the deal!"

"You wouldn't have a girlfriend right now if it weren't for me 'dropping hints'!"

"That's not the point! And as important as you say it is, I really don't think it's necessary to show her the basement, either."

"I know you don't want her to see the stuff that old hag left behind down there but some of it is important to her lessons!"

"What? Tell me what part of it has anything to do with her lessons!"

"You want her to know what she's doing don't you? She already saw what you had in your closet, I don't think the basement would be much worse. Plus, I think it'd be beneficial in more ways than one for her to know how to tie someone up."

"I still don't think it's a good idea. She's so innocent, if anyone is going to ruin that it's going to be me!"

He says that so easily, that's actually up to me and I know more than you realize.

"It's not like I'm gonna make her do anything! You think I'd be dumb enough to let her actually touch anything down there? God knows who's touched that stuff!"

I hear a bit of hushed commotion outside the door and heavy footfalls walking away. I hear Xander's door slam shut and he screams in frustration.

I wait a few minutes and listen. The sound of the bathroom door opening and closing and the shower turning on rings loudly through the walls. Now's my chance to try and get more information!

I quietly sneak out of my room and pad across the floor silently. The door thankfully doesn't make a sound as it opens. I see that he moved his record player into his room and currently has music playing over the speaker. I time my movements with the beat, ensuring that he can't hear me.

I go to his bedside table first and crouch on the floor, picking up his phone and turning it over in my hand. The screen lights up, shining blinding light into my face. It doesn't give me any clues as to what they were talking about, it only gives me the time, twelve pm.

I hear the shower turn off and quickly place his phone back where it was. I frantically look around for somewhere to go and decide on the closet. I hear Xander exit the bathroom and enter the room, singing the lyrics of whatever song is playing.

He stops and I don't hear him for a while, so I peek out of the crack between the doors. His dark silhouette looms closer and closer so I worm behind the rows of clothing he has, hoping that it will conceal me for now.

It's at the split second the door opens that it dawns on me. I've made a terrible mistake.

He doesn't notice me from where I'm hiding, but I honestly think that makes this worse. If he would just look over here and see me it would save both of us from what's about to unfold! But he doesn't, he doesn't even look in this direction!

I watch helplessly as the towel hanging loosely from his hips falls to the ground. I tell myself that the thrumming of my heart against my chest is just the adrenaline from putting myself in this situation in the first place, even though deep down I know otherwise. It's horrifying to say that I can't seem to look away from his nude figure.