Chapter Two: The True Beginning

The forest spirit leads me through the dense forest to a circle of stones and mushrooms. Pine trees loom and behind them willows slump over and brush the ground with dainty branches. A cherry blossom tree flourishes in the middle of the circle, petals slowly drift to the ground around it. The forest spirit beckons me to follow it under the tree but I hesitate, what if it's a trick?

"I-is it safe?"

"Do you want to learn or not?" Eek, what's worse, an angry spirit or a faerie circle? "Hurry up!" Definitely the spirit.

"Coming!" I carefully tiptoe to the tree and stand awkwardly under it's branches awaiting the spirit's instructions. "Do you have a name I can call you?"

"Do you deserve to know it?"

"I don't know, do I?" I shouldn't snark at them but I can't help it when they're doing the same to me.

"Hm. No."

"So what do I call you?"

"Lord, savior, o great one, master, your majesty-"

"Be serious."

"Ugh, fine. Just call me Ives I guess."

Ives stands completely still and their eyes glow brightly, the petals around them float and the grass sways gently beneath their feet. A bright flash of light sends me reeling and I blink rapidly, trying to erase the memory of it from my mind. When my eyes focus Ives is no longer there, in their place stands, well, floats, a beautiful humanoid creature covered in strange jewels.

It has coffee colored skin, small antlers, many tails, a rabbit nose, fawn ears, and goat legs in place of human ones. Worn blue fabric hangs loosely around it's chest, covering something that doesn't seem to be there. Blue tribal markings circle it's arms and torso.

"Ives?"

"Who else?"

"What happened?"

"I changed forms, that's all." Ives brushes past me and starts climbing the branches on the Cherry Blossom.

"What are you doing! Isn't that disrespecting the faerie circle?"

"Faerie circle? This is my garden."

"But you only have one tree?"

"Didn't say it was a big garden, did I? First lesson begins now."

"O-Okay." Ives drags me closer to the tree and clamps their hand on my shoulder, squeezing a little too tight. "Owowow! Stop!"

"Climb."

"What?"

"You heard me, climb." They let go and I scramble to find a safe way up the tree. "Too slow!"

"How are you at the top already?! I didn't even see you move!"

"You'll find out when you get up here, which shouldn't be taking this long." They say, annoyed. I decide to just go with it and grab a branch, pulling myself up and swinging my leg up. I get on top of the branch and I see a hand reach down at me from above the colorful buds. I grab it and Ives pulls me to the top of the tree with them. I look on in wonder, I can see all of New York from here!

"Amazing, isn't it?"

"Yeah." I sigh dreamily. I snap out of my trance quickly."Aren't you going to tell me how you got up here?"

"Nope."

"But you sa-"

"I know what I said. I lied to you so you would get up here quicker."

"That's not fair!" Ives silences me and points at something. My eyes follow their finger and land on an empty stretch of land. I give them a weird look and they sigh.

"That's where we're heading. Your new home."

"What are you talking about?"

"You. Will live there." I nod even though I still don't understand. Suddenly Ives jumps off the side of the tree.

"Ives? Are you crazy?!"

"C'mon! I'll catch you!"

"I doubt that, I'm a lot bigger than you..."

"Nonsense! I've carried people heavier than you!" Well, maybe they have. I haven't known them long enough to know if they're lying to me. I squeeze my eyes shut and let myself fall backwards, I brace for impact, expecting to collide with the ground but I seem to float mid-air. I open my eyes slowly and my body lowers to the ground. Ives stands over me, smirking. "Told you I could carry you."

"So where are we going now?"

"Your home, well, your new home."

"How? That's way too far to go on foot and we can't get a horse anywhere."

"Sit, I'll show you."