Chapter Eight: Too Many Metaphors

I stare into Xander's eyes and look out towards the place where the Cerebral disappeared behind him.

"What do I do?" I whisper fearfully. My heart beats loudly and I feel the pull of energy leaving my body. I need to calm down. I can't see it but it's definitely still there.

"Don't do anything. Just let me do this." He says calmly, touching two fingers to the palm of my hand. He whispers words under his breath and I feel the tension between my soul and the creature release. Xander silently grabs my arm and pulls me to the window.

"What're you doing?" I whisper-yell.

"Just go, I'll be fine. Get Ives and stay with them until I get back."

"I can't just leave you!"

"I can handle myself. Please just go." I climb through the window and dart off towards Ives' room.

I throw open the door but instead of Ives I find a man sitting on their bed fiddling with a strange book. Black tendrils of smoke swirl around him and the book, curling inside as he closes it. He radiates a strange sensual aura and it makes me want to vomit.

"Hello." He says in a honeyed voice, deep and smooth as satin.

"Who are you?" I demand.

"Who are any of us really?" His lips curl upwards into a toothy grin.

"Ugh, I don't have time for this! Where's Ives?"

"Who?"

"You're in their room!"

"Oh. Do you mean my sibling? Well, in that case, they're gone. For a good long while, too." He pauses, flipping the book in his hand. "I'm assuming you're the lovely little thing called Emily, correct?" He says, mocking me in a voice suited for talking to children. I wrinkle my nose in disgust.

"I am." I straighten my back and stare into his eyes. "Who are you?"

"I am Adalricus." He looks behind me, seemingly perplexed by something. "Um. Where's the other one? There were two of you."

"Why do you think I'm here?" I snap. Adalricus' eyebrows rise and he strides to the door quickly. The book falls to the floor with a loud thud but I push away my curiosity. I'll come back for it later.

"Where is he?"

"Just follow me." I say as I run down the hall towards the patio. I slide the window up and Adalricus slips through the crack and immediately runs to the edge and looks over.

"Don't go anywhere!" He calls. The wind blows his cape and long silver hair, obscuring his face. I watch in horror from inside as he plunges off the edge of the building.

"Adalricus!" I call, running out and looking over the edge. But it's too late. Black smoke settles on the ground below and wafts up toward the balocony's edge. I back away and slip back through the window, closing it behind me.

What do I do now?

I scream and slam my fist into the door. Surprisingly, it goes right through. I pull my arm out and shake my fist. I slide down the wall and watch tears fall from my eyes onto my bloody knuckles. I don't even feel it.

I walk down the hall towards the infirmary, holding my blood-soaked hand, wrapped in a towel from the bathroom I used as a make-shift bandage. I pulled out everything under the sink in the bathroom but found nothing that could help.

I reach the big doors and use my good hand to push them open. I look through all the trays beside the cotts until I reach one with a bandage and a bottle of ointment. I carefully unravel the towel and pour the ointment on my wound. I wince and wrap the bandage around my hand quickly, securing it with my teeth.