{17}- Aftermath | Attacked

Start from the beginning

I sighed as I sat in the cart, thinking about the moment when I entrusted my handcrafted diamond sword to Subaru.

Flashback

"Yo, Subaru!" I said to him as he was about to leave. He turned to me in surprise, before shooting another dirty look at Julius, but the purple-haired knight did not notice his hostility.

"What do you want?"

"Well, you're going off to fight the White Whale, right? You have to at least have a decent weapon." I took out the diamond sword along with a sheath I purchased in the capital, and handed him it. "It's a diamond sword, and I hope you'll use it well."

"Really? Thanks Y/N, you're really a great help."

"Okay, and do you remember the plan?" I asked, hoping that I don't have to go over a previous conversation.

"Yeah... I just have to first defeat the Ten Fingers first, and they'll be easy to identify since I can see them using their Unseen Hands. After that, I'll form a contract with a small spirit before taking on Betelgeuse. If he tries to control me, I'll shout out the Return by Death, and he'll be defeated."

"Yes, and...?"

"I'll have to go with Julius." He sighed, and I gave him an apologetic look.

"I'm sorry, Subaru, but Julius is the only one with spirits, and Betelgeuse's weakness is spirits. Also, you have Reinhard, Wilhelm, and the Iron Fang. Nothing should go wrong."

"Okay then... protect Rem for me then, will ya?"

"You got it!" I smiled as we exchanged a high-five, before heading off to separate ways.

Present Time

I was suddenly startled by an unknown presence, and although I was not sleeping, Vacuum Trigger was twitching as if it wanted me to be on alert.

I immediately woke Hetaro up and told him to get in position. He looked at me sleepily and did not really do anything so I immediately activated the White Whale's flying seal from Suitoru, and flew to Crusch and Rem's carriage.

"Crusch! Rem! Get out of here, now!" I yelled to them, but Crusch was more interested in my new flying power.

"Before that, Y/N, how are you flying?"

"There's not time to explain! You and Rem need to escape! The Archbishops-"

Before I finished my sentence, the first carriages burst apart as I watched tens of bodies fly into the air, and Crusch and Rem immediately readied their weapons after that.

"Stop the carriages." I told Crusch. 

"Why?"

"Just trust me. If we don't stop and attack the instigator, we're all dead." I said with Pure Truth, and she nodded before giving out the order. As we stopped, I walked up to the first carriage, where the people were facing an annoyed white-haired man, who was rambling on.

"...don't just not say anything when I'm talking to you, you know? It's common courtesy to reply when someone is speaking to you." The archbishop said as the men just stared in horror at the young man, who was rambling on about his rights.

Luckily, he stopped at some point before trying to go on, and I chose to use that moment to cut in. I really wish that I can peacefully respect Regulus, and then he'll tell Lye to back off while we happily go away. That is the ideal scenario, but I doubt we'll get anywhere near that.

"Hello? Sorry for all the trouble. My name's Y/N L/N. We're just people who want to travel back to the capital. Is it possible for you to let us past?" I asked, in the most polite tone that I could muster, which diverted Regulus' attention onto myself.