18. Birthday(Part 1)

Vanessa

I held the package securely in my hand as I leisurely pushed open the door to my room. I went inside and kicked the door shut, searching for space in my room.

There's gotta be some space for my new books.

I stepped in front of my bookshelf, which took up half the space beside my study table. My eyes kept roaming here and there in search of enough space for new books. There were books that I had read many times and yet I could not get enough of them. It felt like I learned something new every time I re-read them.

It really blows my mind how many good books are out there that I still haven't read.

And then, I avoided making eye contact with my TBR pile as I was about to add two new books to them. At least they are mine now.

My vision trailed down to where I have stacked my poetry collection. I remember as a kid, when Mom used to read poems I'd always ask her why it was so difficult to understand these lines. Her answer was pretty simple, "you'll understand" which was more confusing. Now, I finally understood what that means. It could mean different things to hundred different people and never the same.

I believed everyone has their share of understanding while reading poems. It was great to know that people can express their inner desires, feelings, and many more things just by putting them in words.

I slowly traced my fingers on the books as if they were transmitting some sort of energy into me. I put the package down on the study table and then picked a book out of my bookshelf. It was an old book. I opened it and was greeted with yellow and worn out pages. I couldn't resist smelling the pages, it gave me a sense of relief.

There's a word for it, Bibliosmia.

As a kid, I always carried an unread book with me, it was the most important thing more than anything else. Before setting out on those trips to the grandparents', I made sure to keep at least two books with me.

As I put the book back, I glanced at my bookshelf lovingly. I almost laughed in joy when my eyes caught a glimpse of a small rectangular thing. My library card. I have had a library card since I was twelve. I remember the day when I was deeply upset about something and Mom surprised me by giving me this library card, and I've had it ever since.

I sighed in despair when I realized I had no space for new books. I tore the package and carefully took out the books.

I gazed at the beautiful piece of work in front of me with admiration. I adored everything about them. I loved the feel of pages on my fingertips. I loved being the lost nerd, lost in the world of fiction.

Literature is so fascinating, sitting for hours, turning the pages because every passing moment is just captivating.

"Vanessa?".

I turned around and found my Mom peeking through the side of the door with an amused look on her face.

"Hmm...".

"What are you doing so late?'' Mom questioned as she opened the door and came into full view.

''Nothing just...um...I don't have any space for my new books'' I answered, dejectedly.

''I see you are out of space...'' She roamed around the room and finally settled down on the bed as she looked at me with those deep blue eyes, ''...so what exactly do you need, a new room, twice the size of this one or a bigger bookshelf?''.