2. Envisage

Vanessa

I stepped into the packed cafeteria. Students were enjoying the meal, some were gossiping as this was a place where they all could rant, and some were throwing a ball of paper at each other.

I saw Candice sitting on our reserved bench, closer to the window. I made my way around the centre table which was always occupied by the basketball players, and my eyes searched for that certain someone, but the smile on my face got crushed when I didn't see him.

I looked elsewhere dejectedly, wishing for him to appear from the gates of the cafeteria.

Wait! Why the hell do I always wanna see him?

Shaking my thoughts away, I said, "Candice?" I tapped lightly on her shoulder then I took my seat opposite her.

"Huh..." She looked shocked as if I snapped her out of her fantasy land. "Hey, what took you so long?".

"My class," I tried to sound sarcastic, but the words came out as a matter-of-fact.

"By the way, are you okay? You looked kind of lost, wanna talk about it?" I asked in the hope to make things comfortable, she appeared quite lost.

In the meantime, I took my lunch out of the bag, waiting for her to speak. She fiddled with her fingers as if she was nervous.

"College. I was thinking about college. Next year we will go our separate ways. It's like time seems to slip out of our hands, and we haven't done much," She said quietly, her eyes looking outside the window where a student was riding a skateboard.

"It's going to be alright, Candice. No need to worry about it," I assured her with a soft smile on my lips. "You know, we have to leave for further studies. I mean that's how you are going to achieve your dream of being a doctor..." I explained, taking my wrapped sandwich out of the brown paper bag and placing it in front of me, "...are you not inspired by my Mom anymore, hmm?".

"She has been my inspiration ever since I decided to pursue a degree in medicine..." She started, tucking a free strand of hair behind her ear, "...and no, it's not going to be alright, Cooper. You wish to go to NYU, and I want to go to Stanford. Once we go our separate ways, I don't think that we will ever hang out again and probably will make new friends and move on".

Oh Candice, you silly girl.

"Nothing like-" Before I could complete what I wanted to say she cut me off, moving forward and placing her elbows at the edge of the table.

"What if we move on with our lives and never text or call each other again? I mean that's pretty scary..." She said, giving me those big eyes that compelled me to laugh. "...it's not funny, Cooper" She did a hair flip and then folded her arms with a huff.

"Alright, I'm sorry but you look cute with those big eyes," I admitted honestly. Then I gestured for her to speak, "Continue".

"Whatever, as I was saying, I don't want, nay, I never wanted us to be those friends who text each other only on birthdays and then puff!" She did this hand gesture with both of her hands to indicate puff. I looked at her panicked state and let out a sigh. "You know what, Cooper, I am not making friends in college".

"Calm down, Candice. Don't panic. And where is all this coming from, hmm? You seem perfectly fine this morning. Where did you get this idea that I will never call or text you once we get into college? Candice, not going to the same college doesn't mean that we are no longer friends and there is nothing wrong in making new friends" I reasoned as I placed my hand on top of her to assure her that our friendship is stronger than these petty reasons.