17. Good Things

Vanessa

''So, what was that?'' Mom asked as she walked downstairs and towards the kitchen, not before asking me if I need her help which I declined as I wanted to walk on my own.

"What?" I questioned as I followed her to the kitchen, slowly.

"You know what I'm talking about, Panda" She said as she took eggs and a carton of milk out of the fridge.

Oh dear, it's about Caleb.

I took a deep breath to calm myself a little bit as I felt a weird sensation in my right leg. I ignored it.

Vanessa, you got this, no big deal.

"Mom..." She looked at me with a questioning look. "...how was your day at the hospital".

Oh crap!! Wrong move.

"Vanessa, don't even try to change the topic, answer me" She said as she folded her arms across her chest.

I can see there's no way out of this.

"Are you...um...talking about Caleb". She nodded. "What's there to talk about him, everything's fine".

She sighed heavily, "Panda, you know you can talk to me" I just looked at her. "I know you fancy him".

"Mom!! I get it okay, you don't have to say it" I mumbled, feeling flushed.

Mom let out a soft laugh as I looked away, embarrassed.

''Look at you, Panda. Isn't it obvious? You two, I'm just making sure''.

I rolled my eyes, ''Don't you think we are way too friendly for this conversation, Mom. Let's just settle with you know how I feel about him''.

''If you say so...'' She raised her hands in surrender, ''Now, tell me how are you feeling?''.

''Better, Mom, but right now I really need a shower so I'll be in my room''. I said as I slowly started walking back.

''Here, let me help you''.

''It's alright, Mom, I can do this on my own. It hurts but I'll manage. I'm way too much dependent on you guys that at times it feels like I can't do a thing on my own'' I said as I walked upstairs, slowly and Mom agreed, reluctantly.

''Fine, just tell me if you need anything''.

~

It's been a few days since I came back from the hospital. Mom finally took time off work to spend time with me. We were baking a lot and watching a lot of Christmas movies together. We went out on a shopping spree and Candice joined me and my Mom.

I had to be in a wheelchair the entire shopping spree, it was tiring. Mom was super strict about it, otherwise she would not have taken me shopping. I wanted to go out so badly because sometimes it felt like I was stuck. Anyway, I had a great time with Mom and Candice but Mom can be so overprotective.

Sometimes, Candice used to stop by at my house with her cousins. We played Monopoly or went for movie marathons. We were enjoying all the Christmas treats and I knew by the end of it I would regret it if I kept eating like that without working out.