8. Four Years Ago(Part 1)

Just a reminder that this chapter and the next are about the event that took place 4 years ago. So no need to get confused.

______

Caleb

Another boring day at school.

I stretched my legs out, letting out a sigh. The sound of the lesson faded into the back as I looked over to the window and saw the coach heading to the basketball court.

I was so bored as there was nothing much to do at school except for the test for which I was fully prepared. I was waiting for the school to get over so that I could go to my basketball practice.

My gaze lingered on the blackboard, but my thoughts drifted off to my Mom. For the past couple of weeks, she had been working incessantly and barely taking any breaks. I never get to spend my weekends with Mom and Dad, it's like we are all living separate lives. I never knew that starting a law firm would result in spending less time with the family.

Mom looked so exhausted this morning that for a moment I thought that she was not doing well. On the other hand, Dad appears to manage time and work but fails to suppress his tiredness.

I hope both of them are fine and not stressed about work.

Since morning, I had a premonition that something was about to happen, or maybe it was just in my head. I can't stop thinking about how Mom and Dad were doing. They needed to take a break and probably go on a vacation.

As the bell rang, students started leaving the class. Noah, my best friend and I also stepped out and saw the entire corridor loaded with students. We managed to pass through the crowd and towards our locker, where I saw a few of our basketball teammates.

Noah Davis and I have been best friends since Kindergarten. I was surprised at the thought that our friendship had been over ten years and I was sure there was more to come. More than my best friend, he is my brother.

As there was still time before our next class, we discussed some new tactics in basketball to practice. As I was moving my hands to explain to them about a technique in the game, my gaze fell on someone, or should I say her. The one who brought smiles to my face for no reason. I never knew that her deep blue eyes were something I would never tire of looking at.

"Caleb?" Noah raised his eyebrows with a knowing smirk. "What you looking at?" This time he grinned like an idiot.

"Davis, run," I gritted my teeth in fury. He knew I never liked those pathetic girlish teasing, but he had to give me a hard time especially after I told him that I liked Vanessa. I wasn't sure if I liked her or not, but one thing's for sure I care for her a lot.

"What?".

"I said run for your life" Before he could make any move to run, I put one arm around his neck, pulling him down and pinning him to the floor.

"Caleb?" I looked up to see a surprised Vanessa standing there with Candice, who was completely ignoring us and was focusing her attention somewhere else. I let go of Noah, who was now thanking Vanessa for coming on time.

"Anyway, do you remember what's today?" She asked, clearly not interested in making conversation.

Her birthday?

That can't be. It's next month.

What is it?