4. Heart to Heart

Vanessa

I was impatiently waiting in the car for the past fifteen minutes. I was desperate to know the sudden change of behaviour in Caleb, that sad look on his face made my heart clench in a death grip.

I let out an audible sigh and took my phone out of my jeans pocket to let Mom know about my plans for the next few hours. She picked up the call after the fourth ring and said in an exhausted tone, "Hey, Panda".

Not with that nickname again!

I decided not to let my thoughts out, instead, I said, "Hey, Mom, you sound tired. When will you get back?".

"In the morning..." I heard some shuffling on the other side, and then she spoke, "...anyway, you called. Do you plan on staying at Candice's?".

"No, Mom. It's Caleb..." I thought twice before speaking, "...he wanted to hang out for a while so I'll be late but don't worry he will drop me home" I heard nothing from my Mom's side for a good few seconds until I spoke, "Mom, you there?".

"Yes, yeah...yeah I just- go on..." Her voice sounded urgent, making my eyebrows furrow in suspicion. "Vanessa, I need to go now. Take care, bye" She disconnected the call after I politely responded. I narrowed my eyes and stared at my phone screen for some time. Mom just ended the call as if she was hiding something. She fumbled on her words and finished up the conversation soon after.

Or maybe it's just in my head.

I put the phone back in my pocket and looked outside the car window in search of Caleb. He was nowhere in sight so I decided to let my thoughts take over my senses in the empty parking lot.

Caleb wasn't his usual self, the carefree and cheerful look that always graced his features was gone. It was replaced by some emotions that made me think deeply.

I don't get it. Is Caleb okay?

After waiting for about thirty minutes, I heard a commotion on the other side and turned around to see Caleb opening the car door. He looked me in the eyes as if he was trying to communicate through the pair of captivating glows that I found hard to unravel. Then his lips stretched into a smile, for which I smiled back. I don't know what else to do except for flashing a comforting smile.

I honestly don't understand, at one moment he was all happy, and the next moment he was just...sad. He was always like this around me, so vulnerable. It's hard to even imagine seeing Caleb sad because he is the one who lights up everyone's mood. He is everyone's favourite, that popular guy who makes his way into everyone's heart.

But what happened four years ago left us devastated. Time was on his side which is why the incident of the past didn't scar him for life, but it did put him in a helpless situation for months, making him lose hope at times. It was a huge relief that things turned out better.

Back then he pretended that everything was fine, every single person out there fell for his facade but not me. We grew together, and ever since I started understanding his importance in my life, I have observed him closely.

Whatever it was, I just wanted to be there for him, just like he was there for me when he didn't even know the meaning of death at the age of ten.

Caleb didn't want to live on people's pity, showing that they care but in reality, it was nothing but a formality on their part.

But the truth is, he is scared.

While on the road, he switched on the radio- Let Me Go by Hailee Steinfeld was playing in the background. I smiled at the memories of us singing this song. Although his deep voice is very attractive, his singing skills are terrible.