10. Another Day At School

Vanessa

(Present Day)

It was mid-October, and the weather was chilly. I got out of bed around 5:00 in the morning and did a quick stretch. I headed for the bathroom and did my morning routine. I splashed cold water on my face to get rid of any sign of tiredness, then changed into a pair of leggings and a hoodie and decided to go out for a stroll.

As I stepped out of the house, I started shivering with cold, but as I had decided that I would go for a walk, I would go.

With every step, I felt the fresh morning air hit me with rejuvenation. The sound of morning birds was soothing to the ears. I ran for about a mile and got home around 6:30 a.m. I quickly prepared a cup of coffee for myself and sipped on it slowly.

Then I took a quick shower and stepped out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around my body. I searched through my wardrobe and finally decided on a pair of blue jeans, pairing it up with a white tee, and I finally completed the look with my black sneakers. I let my hair loose and picked my denim jacket just in case I needed it.

I grabbed my bag and phone and slowly walked downstairs as I scrolled through social media. I replied to a few texts and placed my phone on the kitchen counter and my bag on the stool beside me. I looked at the clock hanging on the wall, and it showed, 7:02 a.m. I didn't want to be late for school, so I had a cup of coffee with bread and butter for breakfast.

While I was eating bread, I heard footsteps outside the kitchen. ''Good morning, Panda,'' Mom chirped, folding her arms against her chest because of the cold weather.

I turned around with a smile, ''Good morning, Mom. Did you sleep well?''.

"Hmm..." She walked around the kitchen and stopped in front of the cabinet. She picked up a coffee mug and poured herself coffee. She took a seat opposite me and asked, ''Do you want me to give you a ride to the school?".

''Nope, I feel like taking a walk,'' I told her as I sipped on my coffee.

''Okay!'' She placed her coffee mug down on the kitchen counter and went outside to get the newspaper, which I picked up earlier when I went out for a walk.

''Mom, is it a day off, or do you have to go to the hospital?'' I asked her once she got back and settled down on the stool with a newspaper in her hand.

''It's not a day off, I will leave around 9:30'' She slowly sipped on her coffee, her blue orbs moving from left to right as she read the headlines.

''Alrighty!! Take care, Mom. Love ya," I said as I got up and walked around to reach where she sat. I softly kissed her cheek to which she smiled.

''Love you, my baby''.

I stepped out of the house and started walking in the direction of the school. I barely made it out of my street when my phone rang, indicating that there was a message. I took my phone out of my pocket, which reflected 'Candice' on the phone screen.

Candice: Do you want me to pick you up?

Me: Nope, just taking a walk to the school

Candice: I'll see you then

I put my phone back into my pocket.

The walk alone forced me to go back to yesterday's occurrence.