Lamia P1

Arthur had spent a long time thinking. He'd failed two of the people closest to his heart, had refused to trust Merlyn's instincts despite the countless times she'd proven herself worthy. He couldn't explain his actions; the king knew he would have to truly find trust in his servant. After all, soon she would be his queen.

Hopefully.

Gwen had broke him from his muddled thoughts, knocking on the door to his chambers during a quiet moment of his day. Merlyn would've given her his schedule. She had a habit of handing it out to the knights.

This time, however, the matter was a little more serious than a badly executed prank. Gwen had brought a friend, Mary, if he remembered correctly, who seemed to shrink in her chair, obviously frightened. The two women sat at his dining table, but Arthur stood, pacing as he listened to their tale. This was a complicated matter.

"Guinevere informs me that you live in Longstead, in the Feorre Mountains. Is that right?" He asked, resting his arms on the back of his chair.

"That's right, sire." Mary nodded meekly. "Our village... we're blighted by a sickness. Three good men it has taken now. We have no physician, sire. It is beyond our understanding."

"I see." Arthur frowned. He doubted Gaius could make such a journey, especially after the ordeal he had just lived through.

Mary glanced at Gwen before directing her gaze to the table, seeming to shrink even further into her muddy clothes. "Forgive me. I have no right to bring such a small matter before the king."

"You have every right." Arthur assured her, wondering how his father would have reacted. He sat down in his chair, glancing at Gwen's concerned expression. "It is my responsibility to protect the people of this kingdom, whoever they may be."

Mary looked up in that moment, stunned hope shining through her eyes. "You'll help us?"

Arthur was sure he could work out some solution. "I'll do whatever I can."

Mary turned to Gwen, pressing their hands together. "Thank you."

~

Merlyn frowned down at the still man laying on the cot in front of her, pressing a damp towel to his forehead. She'd barely noticed Arthur burst in, doing her best to soothe yet another patient. A sickness was spreading through the city; Gaius had been practically swept off his feet. He really needed another assistant.

The physician was talking, she realised. "This is the fourth case of sweating sickness I've seen today. In normal circumstances, I'd be happy to travel to this village to investigate, but-"

"Of course." Arthur cut him off, sounding grave. "I understand."

"Might I make a suggestion, sire?" Gaius wasn't really asking, but even Merlyn was curious as to what he was thinking. "Why not send Merlyn in my place?"

That was not what she was expecting. The servant turned to stare at the physician, wondering if he'd finally gone mad.

"Merlyn?" Arthur questioned, as if his hearing had deceived him. Merlyn just about restrained herself from lobbing a heavy book in his general direction.

Gaius simply shrugged. "She has a knowledge of the healing arts. If the diagnosis is straightforward, she can prescribe a remedy, I'm sure."

"And what if it isn't?" Arthur waved his hand flippantly, comfortable to have a conversation about his lover's intelligence whilst she glared at him.

"Then she can bring her findings to me." Gaius didn't seem at all troubled. Even Merlyn was rather concerned. He'd never seemed to appreciate her, admittedly limited, intelligence before.