The Secret Sharer P2

Arthur had awoken to the tolling of bells, Merlyn standing beside his bed, apparently on some errand for his uncle. With bleary eyes he stood, glad for his servant's presence as he dressed quickly, worry for his kingdom battling his tiredness. The king felt almost bewildered as he was ushered to the physician's chambers, Merlyn equally puzzled at his side, only to find his own guards tearing the place apart, apparently on Agravaine's orders.

"My lord, he was seen riding away from the city." His uncle reported as soon as he was alerted to Arthur's presence.

"No, that can't be true." Merlyn murmured, something Arthur couldn't quite read upon her face as she looked at Agravaine. She'd never liked him, thought undoubtedly less of him now. Merlyn wasn't stupid, she'd known too many raids not to see what this was. The way her eyes skimmed the room, darting towards overturned pages of notes, scattered powders and broken bottles... There was a quiet fury building inside of her; Arthur wasn't sure what he could do to quell it, especially if Gaius was-

"Sire." Sir Leon entered the room, flaming torch in hand, nodding to the king as he strode forwards. He turned to Agravaine, seeming grim. "You were right. A white stallion has been taken from the royal stables."

"Well where would he be going? Why leave at this time of night?" Arthur questioned, hoping someone could give him a plausible answer that didn't frame Gaius with such guilt.

Agravaine could never be that man. "I could hazard a guess, sire, but I think a thorough search of his belongings may well provide us with the truth."

Arthur sighed. Agravaine had already ordered the work; he could hardly call it off. He'd just have to hope that nothing was found.

~

Of course, he couldn't be so lucky.

As daylight just began to sneak through the windows of the council chambers, Agravaine presented Arthur with a number of incriminating texts, books full of various enchantments.

"And this was found in Gaius' chambers?" Arthur finally asked his pacing uncle, holding one of the books aloft. He couldn't believe it, didn't want to believe it. The physician had always been so loyal, so kind. Yes, he may have disagreed with some fundamental points of the law, but to break it so completely? The spells in these tomes were a far cry from a sparkling dragon. They could do harm, were meant to kill and hurt. He hadn't thought Gaius capable.

"I am as disappointed as you, sire." Agravaine seemed to be sincere. And yet, Arthur didn't quite believe him. Perhaps it was relief to have finally caught the traitor, but there was something gleeful in his voice, a relief that the king couldn't quite understand.

Agravaine, he realised, was still talking. "Someone so close, so trusted... And it's not merely the discovery that he was a sorcerer, is it? It's- it's the lies." His uncle sighed, leaning heavily on the council table. "Lies and years of betrayal. I know it's hard to believe, isn't it, sire? But we both saw him refuse to condemn magic. We both knew he was hiding something. Neither of us wanted to believe it, but now, with this hasty departure in the middle of the night... These are not the actions of an innocent man, sire. There can be no doubt. Gaius is the traitor."

Arthur threw down the books, leaning back in his chair. No. This couldn't be it. Gaius couldn't, he wasn't-

"I'll send out a search party as soon as possible." Agravaine spoke gravely, turning to leave the king in peace.

"No." Arthur said, resigning himself to the evidence placed in front of him. "What purpose would that serve? Let him run."

For a moment, Arthur could swear he saw a flicker of a smirk on his uncle's lips. "As you wish, sire."