Chapter 47

Adrien

"I don't want to talk."

She whispered, and he frowned. Oh fucking well. They had to talk about what happened.

"You agreed we would talk on Monday."
"I didn't agree we would talk in the middle of class."

She bit back, and he hated how indifferent her tone was.

"Well, this morning you left home an hour early to avoid getting a ride with me, then you blocked me so you wouldn't get my calls."
"I didn't block you. My phone died."

Sure it did.

"That's a lie, and you know it."

She glared at the board, she hadn't looked at him the entire time.

"You seem disappointed it was me."

She wasn't just disappointed. He knew that, he just didn't know what other words he could use to describe how she was acting.

"I'm not disappointed."

He knew it wasn't a lie, but god it felt like one.

"You won't even look at me."

She huffed, snapping her head to the side to stare at him. She looked so detached. Like she didn't care about him anymore.

"Marinette... I'm sorry okay? It wasn't supposed to happen like that."

She stared at him, before looking down at her desk.

"I want to break up."

What? Just because she found out who he was? He felt his chest constrict, as if closing around the air in his lungs.

"I don't."
"I don't care what you want. It's over."

How could she be so numb? Like their relationship meant nothing to her?

"I thought you loved me."

She paused, and he saw a flash of pain in her eyes, before it was wiped away, going back to the empty look. She was wearing a mask today too, and now that he knew, he was going to make her take it off.

"You thought wrong."

Her voice sounded strangled, as if she had to force those words out. Liar liar.

"You can't lie to me Marinette. Not anymore. If you're going to break up with me, I want the truth."
"I'm in love with someone else."

God, he hoped that one was a lie.

"Who?"
"Luka."

She turned to look at him, her expression unreadable. Of course it would be Luka. Jealousy set his soul on fire, and he looked away from her, scoffing. It had to be a lie.

"I don't believe you."

He whispered, and she nodded.

"Well, it's the truth."
"No. I know it's not. The day before yesterday you were saying you loved me. I find it hard to believe that you just suddenly fell head over heels for someone you claimed was just a friend during our relationship."
"Funny you of all people think you can say that to me."

Ouch. He could sense his anxiety skyrocketing, his heart pounding. She had to be lying. There was no way Marinette would do that to him. She wasn't like that.

"I didn't want to hurt your feelings."
"You told me that you were going to start fighting for us."
"I lied."

Bullshit. He would know, because he was the king of bullshit. He could lie, bluff, and put up a front like no other. So why did she think he would fall for it?