Chapter 23

Marinette

"Of all the times I show up sober, you chastise me for the one time I don't?"

He shook his head, grabbing her hand and walking over to the door of the building. He positioned her around the corner, and sighed.

"Give me the Ladybug miraculous, so I can do the job and go."
"No, Tiki is mine."

He growled, and she frowned. Why was he in such a bad mood?

"I don't have time for this. Hand over the damn earrings or you can do this by yourself. I have somewhere to be."

She looked down at the ground, tears pooling in her eyes. He was mad at her.

"Tiki spots off."

She muttered, taking off the earrings. Tiki sighed in relief when Marinette handed her the earrings. She sank down to the ground, wrapping her arms around her legs.

"Tiki spots on. Stay here, and I'll be right back. Stay out of sight."

She heard him leave, and she let the tears fall freely. Why couldn't she have just one night to herself? One night to be normal? She had never tried to before, she never cared enough to try. But the one time she did, this happened? She could hear him call for the lucky charm, and she closed her eyes. He would have been a better Ladybug, even if he is a guy. Her stomach started churning, and she tried to calm down. She couldn't stand Chat being mad at her though.

"I'm sorry."

She whispered, wiping her eyes. She had been a horrible Ladybug. But she was going to do better. She could be better. She didn't have to go to college. She could devote her time to being a hero.

"Miraculous Ladybug!"

She heard him shout, and she closed her eyes. She wouldn't do this again. Anything could have happened. If Chat hadn't have been there, who knows how long it would have taken to defeat the acuma. Or if she would have even been able to do it. She heard Chat land on the roof, and he stopped just at the corner, not passing it.

"I'm sorry for snapping. There's just someone that needs me right now."

He whispered, and Tiki brought the earrings back to her. His phone rang, and she flinched at the sound.

"Hello?"

She couldn't hear the other side of the phone, but it didn't sound good.

"What the fuck do you mean, you lost her? How could you lose her? She could barely walk by herself!"
"Is everything okay?"

She whispered, and he didn't respond.

"Look for Alya and Nino, let them know shes missing and start looking for her. I'm on my way back."

Uh-oh. They had lost Marinette. They were looking for her. He hung up, and she stood, leaning heavily against the wall.

"Do you need help getting home?"

This time he was talking to her, and she shook her head.

"No, no I can manage."
"Plagg, claws out. Ladybug, if you can, call me when you get home."
"Okay."

She whispered weakly, putting the earrings back on. She heard him leave, and shook her head, making her way to a fire escape. No way in hell was she even going to attempt to use her yo-yo to get down. Not like this.

"Marinette are you alright?"

Tiki asked, hiding in her hair.

"No. I'm the worst Ladybug."