Chapter Thirty: The Show of Secrets

Start from the beginning

"Then I decided to climb up onto the water tank too," I hear Lily say. "Big mistake."

"You seem to be making a lot of those," jokes Will, his arm wrapped around Lily's small frame. 

"No Will. The biggest mistake ever made was you just saying that." 

Everyone laughs. 

I go and join the circle, Katy moving over so I can sit next to Alex.

"Where have you been?" Alex mumbles in my ear.

Sarah now jumps into the conversation followed by a comment from Ella.

"Helping out with the other grooms," I reply.

"You're okay being here?"

I bite the inside of my cheek, causing it to sting. "I guess, I mean I'm mainly upset that the other thieves are loose, and being at this show reminds me of Newcastle when Sophie and I chased that other thief."

"Chased the thief? I thought you guys just saw him," Alex replies with an anxious tone.

"No, we chased them off the property."

Alex shakes his head in disbelief. "Do you know how dangerous that could have been? You and Sophie could have been attacked by Justin resulting in something worse happening to you."

"Please, Alex," I criticize. "I don't need a lecture about how I'm such a rebel and how I am always acting before thinking."

"Well you are both those things," Alex bites. "How didn't I know about this?"

I hang my head. "You didn't know because Sophie and I agreed not to tell anyone because we knew everyone would react like you are right now... wait."

I see Alex's mouth move in a reply but I'm not listening anymore. I'm thinking.

If Sophie and I didn't tell anyone we chased the thief then how did...

I have to talk to Sophie!

I get up off the ground like a rocket and start sprinting towards the bathrooms.  A million thoughts are running through my mind but I can't be sure of the truth before I ask Sophie a question.

I enter the bathroom like a bomb. Georgia and Sophie let out small shrieks. I knew they would be in here.

"Maddie!" cries Georgia. "What the hell?"

"Sorry," I reply. "Sophie?"

"Yeah?"

I approach her and Sophie raises a snooty eyebrow at me. 

"Did you tell anyone we chased the thief that day?" I pant.

"What? No, of course not!" Sophie claims.

"You two did what?" Georgia interrogates.

By the look of shock on Georgia's face and the confusion on Sophie's, I know she is telling the truth.

So how did Jess know we did?

I don't bother saying thank you and bolt right back out the bathroom door.

"Madison!" Georgia calls after me.

I don't stop for her. I have to talk to Jess. 

I spot her talking to another groom near the arenas and head straight for her. 

"Jess!" I call.

The instructor breaks away from her conversation to stare at me. "I'm doing something right now, Maddie. In a second."