twelve: arguements are for children

November 4, 1984

November 4, 1984

Beth's hand brushed against Max's hand as they walked through the woods, following the train tracks from before. The gang had been walking for quite some time, and to Beth it felt like hours, even thought it wasn't. Dustin and Lucas were in front of the girls, arguing over something, and Steve and Brandon were leading the group.

"You're positive that was Dart?" Lucas questioned referring to the fight that had occurred in the junkyard.

"Yes." Dustin sighed, annoyed at no one believing him about the baby Demogorgon. "He had the same exact yellow pattern on his butt."

"He was tiny two days ago." Max said, confused at how Dart got big in a matter of days.

"Well he's molted three times already." Dustin explained making Beth raise her eyebrows in shock.

"Malted?" Steve questioned.

"Molted." Brandon corrected. "Like he sort of sheds his skin, so he can make room for growth. Sort of like hornworms."

"When he's gonna molt again?" Beth questioned.

Dustin shrugged, "It's gotta be soon. When he does, he be fully grown, or close to it. And so will his friends."

"Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats." Steve stated making Dustin's eyes widened at Steve's words. The rest of the group didn't know that Dustin had found Dart and lied about it to keep him.

"Wait, cat?" Lucas questioned Dustin, putting a hand on the boy's shoulder to stop his walking. "Dart ate a cat?"

"No, what? No." Dustin lied. Beth rolled her eyes at how horrible he was at lying.

"What are you talking about?" Steve questioned, oblivious to the fact that Dustin didn't want anyone to know. "He ate Mews."

"Mews?" Max questioned. "Who's Mews?"

"It's Dustin's cat." Brandon told her before looking at Dustin sighing. "Just tell them Dustin."

"Brandon!" Dustin yelled at him, trying to tell him to shut up.

"Yell at me again! I dare you!" Brandon yelled back.

"I knew it! You kept him!" Lucas yelled, hitting Dustin in the arm.

"No! No. No, I...No, I..." Dustin said , trying to lie but failed miserably. Lucas raised his eyebrows, wanting an answer. "He missed me. He wanted to come home."