four: d'artagnan

November 1st, 1984

November 1st, 1984

Beth woke up to see Max sitting up in bed, writing something on a piece of paper.

"Oh, um, hi. Sorry if I woke you." Max said to the girl once she saw her up.

"Oh no you didn't. What are you doing?" Beth asked as she got out of bed. "Oh, um, just a note for my mom. You know, in case she asks where I went." Max told the brunette.

Beth nodded before she went through her closet. "Did you sleep well?" Beth asked as she grabbed a purple sweater and dark blue jeans from her closet.

"Yeah, you cuddle in your sleep." Max smiled.

"Oh, um, sorry." Beth put a strand of hair behind her ear. "No it's okay. It was cool." Max said softly.

Beth smiled a bit before going back to her closet, "Do you like yellow?"

"Yeah yellow is cool." Max answered before Beth threw a yellow top to her.

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

Max and Beth got to school and when they did Lucas asked if he can walk with them. He told them about what happened last year with Will and how he went missing, and how he "died".

"I still don't get why they call him zombie boy. I mean, I get it. He got lost in the woods for a week or something, but why is he a zombie? Because everyone thought he was dead?" Max asked confused on what Lucas was saying.

"Yeah. I mean, we had a funeral for him and everything." Lucas told her. Beth was still confused on how they thought this kid was dead, when he wasn't.

"After a week?"

"Why would you think he was dead?" Beth asked.

"Well, see, some other kid drowned at the quarry. We thought it was Will because his body was super decomposed." Lucas answered her.

"What? Okay, that's not funny." Beth stopped walking.

"It's not a joke, all right? It's public knowledge. You can ask anybody. Except Will, because he is really sensitive about it. All right?" Lucas told both girls. Beth nodded and so did Max, not asking anything else.

"Okay..."

"The case of Phineas Gage is one of the great medical curiosities of all time. Phineas was a railroad worker in 1848 who had a nightmarish accident. A large iron rod was driven completely through his head. Phineas miraculously survived. He seemed fine. And physically, yes, he was. But his injury resulted in a complete change to his personality. So much so that friends that knew him started referring to him as "No longer Gage." At the time, this was known as the American Crowbar Case. Although it wasn't a-" Mr. Clarke explained before Dustin burst through the door. Dustin was panting making Beth look up at him.