Chapter Twenty-One: Please Forgive Me

Start from the beginning

Virgo sighs heavily, his sides expanding in and out.

"Just come here." I let out a low whistle.

It takes a moment but eventually Virgo lopes over to me and snuffles my hair with his muzzle.

I laugh and stroke his fluffy neck. He may not be able to understand English, but he understands me. 

"Looks like he forgave you then."

I jump, causing Virgo to startle as well. I look and to no surprise it's Alex.

"You have to stop sneaking up on me," I huff.

 He adjusts the halter in his hands. "I have to collect a horse from this paddock. Sorry to startle you."

Alex breezes past me again, heading towards the paddock gate. I turn back to Virgo before he pushes me in the chest with his head. 

"What?" I whisper.

Virgo shakes his head. I just roll my eyes. 

There is someone else I  need to apologize to and Virgo knows it.

"Alex!" I call. 

He doesn't stop, continuing down the fence line. I feel like a fool but I chase after him.

"Wait! Please." I rush to him. To make him stop I grab his free hand.

He pulls away from me, in a furious twirl. Alex stares at me with a cold glare.

"I wanted to say sorry okay. You were right about everything," I admit. "Ever since coming here I've just wanted to be somewhat as good as you. I don't know why it's so stupid."

"It is," he scowls.

I ignore his tone.

"I think I just wanted to impress you," I chuckle.

Alex's eyebrows shoot up. 

"So I'm sorry for saying those things to you that day. I think I went to far."

Alex pauses for a moment, taking everything in. "You seem to be needing to apologies to me a lot."

I smile. "Yeah, I do. I should probably work on that."

He shrugs. "Nah, it makes you more interesting."

My cheeks feel hot.

"If I was the reason that you haven't been down here has much, then I'm sorry. Madison I didn't mean to scare you away from Virgo," Alex sighs.

"No. You made me realize some things and you helped me realize who I am as a rider more and who I definitely don't want to be."

Alex smiles shyly and looks away from me. 

"Well, see you later," I shrug, giving Alex a small salute. 

"One second," he says, preventing me from turning around.

I look back at him and he has a hand in the air.

"There is umm... a blade of grass in your hair," he mumbles.

That's embarrassing. I shake my head in shame as I go to find this playful piece of stray grass but Alex beats me to it. He reaches next to my ear and gently pulls out the grass.

I smile at him, hoping the redness in my cheeks isn't growing. "Thanks."

Alex shrugs but goes back with his hand to push the hair that has fallen out from behind my ear back into place.

Am I suddenly on a rollercoaster or did my stomach just flip?

"Thanks, again," I laugh. "Kinda embarrassing."