Chapter 37

Jaemin sucked in a deep breath as he left the castle behind him, wading through the dew-soaked grass that coated his shoes, soaking into his socks. He didn't mind much as the morning mist that veiled his approaching location was cool against his skin. It seemed to sing to his muscles, encouraging them to self soothe after a harsh training session the night previous.

As he carefully navigated his way towards the school's greenhouses, he could see a shadowed figure just before him, already at the wooden door, ready to enter.

It had been a couple of days since they had relocated the creatures from the castle and into the shed by the herbology classrooms, and thankfully such a transit went smoothly.

Since today was the first day of their weekend, he deemed it the perfect opportunity to check in on their little friends. He had a free morning until he had promised to see Yukhei on the Quidditch pitch for an extra session of training right before the Slytherin team took to the skies.

But he was slightly regretting such commitments after their gruelling training yesterday.

As Jaemin nears the small wooden shed, the ends of his mouth twitch upwards as he watches the cloaked figure pull out their wand, spelling the door so that it opens wide.

"You just beat me to it", He calls, his smile widening as the figure whips around quickly, perhaps not expecting any company this morning. However, as soon as they make out Jaemin's face, they allow themselves to relax.

"After yesterday's training you deserved a lie in", Jeno calls back, waiting as Jaemin nears the shed before he places a hand on the door, keeping it open for him, "I wasn't expecting to see you or any of your team till lunch."

At that, Jaemin shrugs and immediately regrets his actions as his body sends an aching pain across his arms and down his back. Jeno only smiles as Jaemin tries to play it off.

"I wanted to check in on the creatures," He says, giving thanks to Jeno, who is holding the door open for him, gesturing for him to step inside. Jaemin does, and Jeno then follows him in, the door softly swinging shut behind them, "Plus, I knew you'd be here, and even though I'm seeing you tonight, I wanted some more time with you."

Tonight, the two of them were finally going to have their long-overdue first date, and Jaemin couldn't contain his excitement.

"Will you be up for it?" Jeno asks, nothing but softness and concern in his voice as he looks over Jaemin, "If you're not feeling well enough, we can always-"

"Nothing could keep me away", He responds eagerly, loving how Jeno then smiled at him.

Before he could lose himself in Jeno's eyes, waxing poetry in his mind about the boy before him, there's a strained squawk from behind them before their salamander makes itself known.

The two quickly spot the little creature, waddling between the plants Jisung had replotted just the other day with some urgency. Another moment later and the Firedrake is chasing after it, babbling along.

Jaemin lets out a laugh as Buttercup, Jisung's freakishly large venus fly trap, swoops in, gently picking up the Firedrake by the tail and dropping it somewhere else, allowing the salamander more time to hide.

When they had last been in here, it was the salamander chasing the Firedrake.

Jeno lets out a quiet laugh as the Firedrake seems disorientated, not seeing the salamander, and Jaemin can't help but join in as Buttercup seems to shake her head at the two smaller creatures.

~~~

"You're late."

At such an assessment, Jaemin only rolls his eyes, "And you're annoyingly on time."