Chapter 22

"You always complain about the game but you're so good at it!" Chenle whines, slumping back into his chair just as Renjun wins the first hand.

"You're all just slow", The Ravenclaw defends, rolling his eyes as he looks around the circle, ready to pick his victim.

From the pale moonlight that shone upon the castle, deep green and blue hues from the lake projected kaleidoscopic patterns onto the stone floor and walls of the Slytherin's Common Room. They painted the skin of those within, reminding inhabitants of its location submerged under the Great Lake.

They were technically underwater, and it felt so serene- so peaceful.

But in the quiet, fuelled by the dark shadows that would pass by the tall glass windows, there was also an air of eeriness that hung thick like anticipation amongst those who were stepping into the Slytherin's common area for the first time. 

Hung throughout the Common Room were grand midnight black chandeliers that swung low, the small fires burning upon each individual candle which carried a slight green tint to them that complimented the royal green velvet and silk draped over each table and chair.

If one wasn't intimidated by Slytherin's and their mere reputation, then they were if they ever dared to step inside their lair.

When they first arrived in the Common Room, Mark caught his friends casting nervous glances to the large glass windows separating them and any beautifully dangerous creatures on the other side. They'd still keep a wary eye on flickering candlelight and shadows dancing across the cold stone floors, but through conversation and a distracting game of Exploding Snap, they were beginning to slip into a state of calm.

"Okay, Mark", Renjun announces, turning to the Gryffindor as everyone expresses an orchestrated 'oooo' excitedly waits for the question, "There's something I don't understand. What drew you to Hyuck?"

"Hey!" Donghyuck yelps, retracting his hand from where it was clasped with Mark's to reach behind him, his fingers finding a velvet cushion that he then catapults across the room, just barely missing Renjun.

At the action, Mark lets slip a laugh before he steals a glance towards his boyfriend, trying to verbalise the workings of his heart, "Donghyuck is... incredibly impulsive, he also doesn't think about anything until he's facing the consequences... but he can also be very calculating, knowing exactly what to say and what to do-"

"I can't work out if you're trying to compliment me or insult me", Donghyuck cuts in, a pout resting upon his lips, which Mark has to fight the urge to kiss in the presence of their friends.

"What I'm trying to say is, he's exactly what I need- he balances me, grounds me... makes me laugh and let go..." With all the adoration in his eyes, Mark turns to Donghyuck, lacing their fingers together once more, "the way you see the world... you live, you know."

Donghyuck was a firecracker, and just by being in his presence, Mark felt Donghyuck ignite his own spark. He burned brighter; he laughed louder since meeting Donghyuck. If possible, he felt as though he was growing into himself. He felt confident in his skin.

Donghyuck encouraged his growth, and Mark found that with every piece of himself that slotted into place, Donghyuck had nestled himself further into Mark's heart with how much he truly cared about him.

"And even though he knew nothing of the muggle world when I'm with him, I feel at home. I feel safe and happy and home," Mark finishes, giving Donghyuck's hand a squeeze to which Jaemin coos at, everyone watching the two love birds as they share a smile.

Renjun, too, watches them for a moment, his eyes softening momentarily before he claps his hands together, drawing everyone's attention back to the game at hand.