Chapter 9

~ FLASHBACK to SUMMER~

"He should be here any minute, Mark dear, have you tidied your room?"

Looking up from his phone, Mark watches as his mother scurries around the house- her eyes scanning every room as she hovers by the doorframes, just checking that everything is right for their guest.

"Yes mum" He answers quietly, looking on rather amused as she then badgers Leia about all of her pens and coloured pencils scattered across the living room floor.

"Why do I have to tidy up my stuff?" She whines, "He's not my boyfriend"

"He's a guest in our family home and it is polite to make the space presentable for him" Mrs Lee answers, sighing as she asks Leia to just clean up her supplies before she then moves onto the kitchen.

She wasn't usually like this, Mark's mother was very easy-going, just like his father, just like his sister, just like him. However, with Mark finally introducing Donghyuck to them after so many years of dating, he guesses she was just a bit nervous meeting someone so important to her son.

"Honey..." She calls, now having found her next victim in the form of her husband, "How is dinner coming along?"

After last summer where she had attempted to cook and had burnt the roasted chicken (read: charcoal chicken) so that their fire alarms began to ring when smoke filled the kitchen and their neighbours came out to check on them, the family had banned her from the kitchen, leaving the cooking to Mr Lee who had more of a talent for food preparation compared to his wife.

"The vegetables are all ready and we can start the gravy once he arrives" Mr Lee announces with a smile, approaching his wife to place his hands on her upper arms, holding her in place for a moment, "We're not expecting the Queen of England"

"No, just our son's boyfriend of whom we've never met before in the, what, two or three years they've been dating" She responds, to which her husband just instructs her to breathe.

Mark had very briefly told them of Donghyuck's family dynamics over the course of the last few years.

He's told them that Donghyuck wasn't that close to his parents, that his home life was stressful, and that by wizarding world standards, his parents had done some rather terrifying things.

He didn't wish to cast Donghyuck's family in a bad light even after everything they've done, as Mark decided that it wasn't his place. But he did want his family to know why it had taken so long for Donghyuck to finally open up to the idea of meeting Mark's parents.

The Slytherin still felt a little spooked and rather apprehensive about this meeting, however when he finally told Mark last year that he thought he was ready to finally meet Mark's family, both Mark and his parents were ecstatic.