Chapter 34

The next morning of classes had been a blur.

After Mark and Donghyuck returned from the kitchens, like Jaemin had promised, their friend group had gathered in the Slytherin Common room with snacks and blankets galore, ready to hear about what had exactly happened to their friend.

Donghyuck had told them it all, and when he mentioned his mother daring to try and perform the Cruciatus Curse- everyone was in an uproar. Suddenly, all seven of them were pledging to attend Donghyuck's court date with the Ministry, ready to give what accounts they could so that Donghyuck's parents could never set eyes on him ever again.

It had turned into a sleepover as when Donghyuck was done telling his tale, it was already the early hours of the morning. So they just crashed on the sofas and armchairs, waiting for the morning sun to stream through the Black Lake and wake them up, projecting a beautiful shimmer to douse the room.

However, now as it was lunch, Donghyuck allowed himself to rest his eyes and take a moment to soak up the normalcy around him. Mark was seated at his side, his hand placed on Donghyuck's thigh, a grounding touch. Jaemin and Jeno were directly opposite him, all shy smiles and tentative touches- Donghyuck wishes that they'd just kiss or something. Renjun was nose deep into a book next to the pair and Yukhei was currently at the Gryffindor table, talking with a few members of his Quidditch team.

Whilst doing his little headcount, he notices that neither Jisung nor Chenle are with them. Jeno had checked in on their salamander and Firedrake before coming to the Great Hall but it's likely that Jisung just wanted to see them for himself. Donghyuck had no idea where could be Chenle. Maybe he was just nervous for his first official Quidditch training later?

Things are good between them. It took a few hours for Donghyuck to try and convince Chenle that he had nothing to be sorry about, and that, instead, it should be Donghyuck on his knees apologising for the acts of his parents. Naturally, it will take time for them to fall into the same rhythm again, but Donghyuck knows their friendship will bounce back.

As Donghyuck's eyes do another sweep of the Hall, he notices a seat empty up at the Professor's table at the head of the Hall, and before he knows it, he's getting to his feet.

"Hey, I'll be back", He whispers to Mark, his boyfriend tilting his head to the side in question, but Donghyuck only presses his lips softly to Mark's cheek, "Just gotta go talk to someone."

And with that, he swiftly makes his way out of the Great Hall and towards the classrooms in the dungeons.

~~~

"Herbivicus!"

"Herbivicus!"

"Should you be doing that?"

At the question, Jisung whips around, his wand still drawn as his heartbeat echoes in his ears.
However, that panic only subsides slightly when he notices that it's only Chenle leaning against the greenhouse entrance.