Chapter 27

"What the...?"

As soon as Jaemin and Mark enter the former's dorm room, they stop in their tracks, both frozen by their sense of confusion which leaves them exchanging a few glances before refocusing back on the room before them.

Immediately as they scan the space, it feels different. It feels wrong.

From what they can see, there have been no signs of a struggle, nothing to tell them that Donghyuck had been here- but there lies the problem, in that there was nothing of Donghyuck's anywhere.

Whereby the dorm room would usually be more on the messy side- school robes and Quidditch gear lazily thrown over all four beds, knocked over books and empty chocolate frog boxes from their recent Hogsmeade trip on the floor... Donghyuck's section of the room was left spotless.

His bed had been stripped of the bedding, his large trunk at the end of his bed was missing, and even his Quidditch gloves that were thrown onto Jaemin's own bed this morning were gone. It was as if Donghyuck had never been here as if he didn't exist in this room.

His section of the room looked exactly like it would at the end of the academic year, with everything packed away, leaving nothing behind. It was as if he moved out already.

It didn't make sense.

However, as Jaemin takes a step forward to examine the room further, there's a threatening hiss as a black shadow darts across the floor, stopping short in front of the two boys.

"Nova?" Mark questions tentatively, the midnight black ball of fluff looking up at them both with her emerald eyes before weaving in and out of their legs, moving a little slower than she had been before.

Jaemin didn't need to be a creatures expert to know that she was distressed.

"Come here, girl", Mark sings softly, bending down to Nova's level where she then bolts towards him, jumping up quickly into his arms and securing her claws into his robe, as if to say that she's not going anywhere.

Mark gently stroke her fur, giving her a little scratch behind her ear and he drops a kiss to her little head.

If all of his things were gone, then why was Nova still here?

Both Mark and Jaemin knew how precious she was to the Slytherin; he loved her like she were his child. And so, if he left her behind, it clearly wasn't his choosing.

Jaemin looks at the cat in Mark's arms, holding onto the boy's robes tightly, and his brain flounders a moment as he doesn't know what has happened.

"I think we need to talk to Headmaster Lee..."

~~~

Donghyuck felt cold

Donghyuck felt cold.

Not necessarily physically, but as he curled up into a ball, bringing his arms around his knees, he felt a sudden shiver rattle through his bones.