Chapter 25

Just as the chill wind chases the faint violent hues of evening deep into the midnight sky, three students cloaked in their black robes slowly make their way through the castle grounds, advancing dangerously close to a cluster of dark, shadowed trees.

Jaemin was cradling the salamander in the palms of his hands, cupping them almost closed to reduce the risk of the creature jumping free and initiating another chase through the tall and unkept grass of this area. With the Forbidden Forest now just within reach, none of them really wanted to delve any deeper into the darkness than they had to.

Jeno was next to the Slytherin, watching the creature and Jaemin, his gaze often flicking between them, making sure they were both okay. And on his other side was Jisung, his eyes glassed over with unshed tears as his Firedrake clung onto his robes, its body resting over Jisung's shoulder.

The others had offered to come too, to say a farewell to the two creatures, but it was late, and Jeno knew that it was probably better for them to head back to the warmth and safety of the castle to avoid any complications. Plus, from the tremble in Jisung's step, he knew that the younger probably didn't want a group of people to watch him get emotional over the little lizard he'd grown attached to.

Jeno understands the feeling completely. Every time he lets a creature go having cared for it for so long, it leaves a nasty hollow feeling aching in his chest. He's so used to bottling up such emotion from doing this alone, but now he has Jaemin and Jisung who understand, and he has a whole host of new friends with whom he can talk about his rescues with.

He's not going through it alone anymore, and he hopes that he can offer Jisung at least a shred of the comfort that he now feels.

They stop on the border of the Forbidden Forest, all three casting nervous glances at one another.

"I think this is far enough", Jeno announces, to which the other two just nod.

No one moves for a minute after, all three of them just soaking in these last few moments with their creatures. It's Jaemin that then breaks the silence.

"Ah, I'm going to miss you, little one", He whispers, opening up his hands to see the salamander staring back up at him, his eyes wide as he rolls over excitedly, "Try and stay out of trouble, okay?"

"What if they can't find their friends or families?" Jisung murmurs, the Firedrake still clinging to his shoulder as he strokes its scales softly, "There are all kinds of creatures in here. What if they get hurt?"

At the boy's concern, Jeno tries to put on a reassuring smile, "I'm sure they'll be fine, Sungie."

He's sure they'll find their way back to where they need to be- it'll be instinctual for them, and as hard as it is to admit, this is all just part of nature. They belong here, with other creatures. It would be selfish to keep them in the castle.

Bowing his head to try and hide his fresh tears, Jisung presses his face into the Firedrake's body, giving it a hug, "I'm sorry I couldn't help you."

"You may not have been able to mend its wing..." Jaemin starts, looking over at the young Hufflepuff, who he has only recently gotten to know, "but you've taken good care of it."

Jisung nods at Jaemin's words, almost as if he was trying to convince himself of them before he gives the lizard one last squeeze before dropping to his knees as gently trying to pry the creature off of himself, "You've been a good friend and a great listener... and I'm going to miss you so much."

It was nice just to have someone to talk to, someone who will sit and listen and not talk back. It felt nice to be heard and not judged, especially from all the sneers and dismissive glances he got from the students in his year.