Chapter 27

I force my heavy eyelids open. I don't remember going to sleep. How did I get here? I'm really confused. I sit up and look around. I see Noah. His eyes flicker over to me. "Look who's awake," he says. Maggie looks up too. Where's Ava? I don't see her. "Where did Ava go?" I ask them.

Noah looks at Maggie with a look of sorrow on his face. "You don't remember," Maggie asks me. I shake my head and scrunch my eyebrows. Noah takes hold of the conversation. "You and me were hunting and we heard a cannon. We rushed over and found out that Ava ate poisonous berries. You may have heard of them. Nightlock. And..." Noah's voice trails off. "What?! What happened?!" I say, swallowing my tears.

"Sh-she died," Noah says stuttering. A wave of sadness floods over me. I remember everything now. Before I know it, I'm crying. Hard. Noah and Maggie comfort me. But I don't want their company. I want everything back like it used to. Before I was in the Games.

"We need to go. Now," Noah says suddenly. Maggie jerks up. "Why?" she asks, alarmed. "Don't ask. Just run," he replies. We all shoot up and run as fast as we can in the opposite direction.

Once Noah tells us to stop running, and I'm out of breath, he whispers, "Get out your weapons. Prepare to fight." Without question, I grab the bow and arrows. Noah is holding knives that I don't remember him getting and Maggie isn't holding anything. She's going to fight with her bare hands. And then I look up and see them. 3 tributes. Strong tributes.