Chapter 26

My head jerks around to Noah. "That sounded like Maggie," I say immediately. He nods and as if on cue, we run like somebody is chasing us where Maggie and Ava would be. My body whips around the trees. I focus my eyes. And I see the most horrible sight.

Maggie is thrown over Ava's lifeless body. Her body is heaving with sobs and she can't stop crying. Weakly, Maggie turns her head around to look at my face. Her voice shaky with sobs and shock, she starts speaking to me. "I told her to look for food. She told me she found berries. And she ate them. They must have been poisonous. Because not even a second later, I heard her body collapse on the ground and the cannon went off."

My face is expressionless. I have no words, nor emotions for this. Slowly, I walk over to Ava's body. I know the life has left her and there's no bringing it back. I'm not able to hide my pain. Tears roll out of my eyes like rain from clouds on a wet April day. I don't wipe them off, I just let them fall off, onto Ava's white, lifeless face, that is almost ghostly. But she still looks peaceful. Like she's in a deep sleep. In a way she is. A slumber so deep she'll never wake up.

Her eyes are still open, so I gently take my index fingers and close them. I take her beautiful blonde hair and arrange it so it spreads around her face. I fold her hands over her chest. Maggie walks up to me and hands me flowers. I put them in her arms.

I kiss her lightly on the forehead and I back away, not able to look anymore. I turn my back and run away. They chase after me and I soon hear the whirring of the aircrafts, ready to take her away. I feel empty, like there's no purpose for me to be living. Like my heart and soul have been lit on fire and left to burn. Like my emotions have been thrown into the river to drown. I just want to be back in District 12 with everyone I love. Not fighting for my life, making friends and watching them die. I collapse on the ground and pass out.