Chapter 13

We are arriving in the Capitol. I peer out of the window shyly. There are rows of buildings, and busy streets with lots of people walking. Lots. All of them are dressed very spontaneous. I see a lady with blue skin, and a man with a green, curly mustache. Those are just a few of the creative get ups I see. I look really out of place. For now.

People must have heard the train, and they peer up. I realize I have to make these people like me. I wave at them, smiling big. It seems fake, but I do it anyway.

I look back at everyone. Haymitch has his arms crossed, and he's smiling. He whispers something into my moms ear that makes her smile a bit. I turn back to the window and I wave to everybody in the Capitol, eager and childlike. I hear footsteps and I look over and see Shark.

"Waving to the Capitol, huh?" he asks, his voice deep and hoarse. I nod my head. "Wanna join me?" I ask playfully. Like we aren't just about to be forced to kill each other. Even though we are. For now, I just have to pretend that's not going to happen. Even though it obviously will.

We smile and turn our heads facing the window. We both smile and wave, as if it were rehearsed. For the first time, I am able to forget everything that is happening. But I know that will only last a short while before the horrors of reality come back. But life seems content. Even though that can't last forever.