• Chapter Nine •

Mr Kapoor has given the advance payment along with a photograph of Nandani," Cabir said, placing the briefcase containing the cash and the photograph on the table

Manik took hold of the photograph, his gaze fixated upon it, capturing the attention of his friends.

"Just staring at the picture isn't going to kill her," Abhimanyu quipped, striving to lighten the tense atmosphere.

"Buddy, we can still reject this contract if you want to," Cabir teased.

"We won't do that." Manik abruptly turned on his heel and strode to the bar.

"Why is this happening to me? I've never given a second thought before slaughtering someone, so why am I obsessing over Nandani? Why can't I just shoot her?" he muttered incoherently.

"I'm going to kill her. I'm going to close this chapter today."

After making up his mind, he dialled Cabir's number. "Get me Nandani's location right now," he commanded.

"His mood has become quite mercurial since meeting Nandani; changing with the wind," Cabir noted.

"Did you hear what I said, Mr Dhawan?" Manik shouted. "Can you tell me where she is right now?"

"All right, alright. Please calm down," Cabir soothed him. "Give me 30 minutes and I'll get back to you."

"I'm not a patient person. I can't wait another thirty minutes, so you better hurry."

In a frenzy, Manik hung up the phone after uttering those words.

He sat on the stool and started boozing. He was preoccupied with Nandani's thoughts. Her mellifluous voice was ringing in his ears. Her angelic face flashed before his eyes.

Cabir finally arrived at the bar after twenty minutes. "She's at Cafe de Flore with Dr Aryaman Khurrana," he informed.

Manik hastily took his gun and phone from the counter.

"Where are you going?" inquired Cabir, as he scratched his ears, and looked puzzled.

"To kill Nandani," Manik drawled as he left for the cafe with his men.

Manik's heart pounded in his chest as he reached the bustling cafe. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee enveloped his senses.

As he emerged from his sleek black Lamborghini, a wave of silence washed over the crowd. All eyes turned towards him, a mix of fear and curiosity in their gazes. They knew that somebody within the thong of people would be his next target.

With every step he took, all eyes followed him. His gaze swept across the cafe, searching for Nandani. His grip tightened around his gun, a constant reminder of the task at hand.

Suddenly, his eyes met hers, "Belle," was all that came out of his mouth. He fired a shot into the air, and the crowd started running helter-skelter. Seated with an air of nonchalance, he propped his leg on the table, his gaze fixed upon her.