• Chapter Thirteen •

Manik had become Nandani's constant companion, a shadow following her every move

Manik had become Nandani's constant companion, a shadow following her every move. His infatuation had turned into an all-consuming obsession. He yearned to possess her, to feel the warmth of her body in his embrace. She became his peace. At the same time, she also wreaked havoc upon his heart and mind. Manik was willing to go to any depths to claim her as his own. He had become like a predator, ready to kill anyone who dared to stand in his way.

Nandani, on the other hand, was terrified. She felt that she was being followed. Deep down, she knew it was Lucifer. And although she acted gallantly in front of him, she was afraid of that cold-hearted monster.

Over the past few days, Nandani's friends had observed that she was worried. They decided to speak with her.

"Nandu, something seems amiss. Your behavior has changed, and you appear deeply troubled. Please let us know if something is troubling you," Navya implored.

Nandani let out a weary sigh. "Someone, or should I say Lucifer, has been stalking me. He follows my every step. Even in the dead of night, if I dare to awaken, his car looms ominously in the opposite lane of my apartment."

Richard's anger surged, "After wreaking havoc in your life, what more does he want from you?"

Nandani shook her head, her voice barely a whisper as she clutched the cushion tightly. "I have no idea, why he is following me. All I know is...I'm terrified."

"Nandani, my dear, you must stay strong. You can't lose courage now," Aryaman soothed, gently patting Nandani's back. "Dont worry, we will go the police station and lodge a complaint against that vile creature. We shall have him punished."

Nandani retorted, "What will we get by doing that doctor? Have you not seen how powerful he is. Even after slaughtering hundreds of people, he roams freely. Even the police cower in fear before him. No one dares to go against him."

Navya interjected, "Hey, Nandani. Why don't you leave France?"

Nandani's tears flowed freely as she vehemently protested, "Oh but why should I flee? I am not coward. I will not go away. This place holds countless memories for me."

Richard spoke up gently. "We are aware, Nandani. Yet, now is not the time to think emotionally. We must use our brain and devise a strategic plan. Lucifer will stop at nothing to have you."

Aryaman nodded in agreement. "There is but one solution to rid yourself of him, and that is for you to leave this country."

Navya said, "Why not consider seeking refuge in America and staying with Priya and Ram for a while? I am certain they won't deny that. They love you, after all."

"No, no. I can't do this," Nandani snapped. "If that monster finds out I'm in America with Priya and Ram, he'll harm them as well."

"Oh, Nandani, how could he possibly find out?" Richard interjected. "We will make sure not a single soul knows your whereabouts."

"Yes, Nandu, please just leave from here," Aryaman implored.

"Do I seem to be so heartless that I would abandon you'll?" Nandani questioned her friends. "I cannot bear the thought of leaving you behind to face any danger. Lucifer is well aware that I am close to all of you and that you are all cognizant of my whereabouts. He'll hurt you, or even worse, kill you, and I can't let that happen."

"Nandani, I swear to you, no matter the torment I may face, I will never reveal your whereabouts. I would rather face death than betray your trust. Your safety is my utmost priority,'' Aryaman declared, locking eyes with Nandani.

A heavy silence hung in the air.

Navya decided to speak. She said softly, "Nandani, please consider our plan.I'm certain, Lucifer will search for your for a few weeks, or a few months, but later, he will move on as his attention shifts to other matters in his life."

"But what about the safety of you all?" Nandani persisted, her worry palpable. "I will never put your lives in danger."

"We'll go underground for a couple of months," Aryaman assured her. "Nobody knows about my bungalow on the outskirts of France. I can say with certainty that Lucifer will not be able to find us."

Nandani took a moment to contemplate. "I shall talk with Priya and Ram tomorrow."

"Alright, then, we'll leave now. Can we," asked Richard.

Nandani nodded. She embraced her friends tightly, bidding them adieu.

After her friends had left, she headed to the kitchen to prepare supper. She was startled when she heard a loud noise coming from her bedroom. She ascended the stairs, clutching a knife tightly in her trembling hand. Her heart pounded in her chest, each beat echoing in her ears.

As she cautiously approached her bedroom, the sound of her own ragged breaths filled the air. She couldn't see anything as the room was dark. She summoned the courage to switch on the lights, and was met with a shocking sight- an intruder nonchalantly sitting on her bed.

Her eyes widened in disbelief. Her voice quivered.

"You? How did you get into my house?"