Chapter 12- Death of a Friend

''They're coming,'' Skylar whispered, noticing Alec and Ric

''They're coming,'' Skylar whispered, noticing Alec and Ric. The two boys she knew quite well and bonded over time while she was in the Glade. Thomas laid on the ground, pretending to be unconscious as a part of the plan.

Moving back from the wooden door, Skylar kneeled watching as Thomas

Began to get ready. He noticed Skylar's eyes on him, reaching up to place a quick kiss on her lips. ''Be careful, okay?''

Thomas closed his eyes, laying his head down as soon as he heard footsteps coming. The brunette girl took a deep breath as soon as they unlocked the door of the pit and pulled her out. Another boy, Dan was his name who was the former Runner, held onto her wrist tightly causing her to wince. Skylar could see the regret in his eyes but it was obvious he was afraid to disobey orders.

As they were being dragged to the front of the maze, Skylar saw that there were two wooden poles set up in front along with Gally and the rest of the gladers watching them intently. Skylar was forced to stop as she watched the other boys drop Thomas to the ground as he continued to pretend.

''This is such a waste,'' Gally muttered.

''Gally...'' Winston spoke up, getting the Builder's attention. His hesitation in his eyes. ''It doesn't feel right, man.''

''Yeah, what if Thomas is right?'' Jeff added in, glancing between Skylar, Thomas, and Gally. ''Maybe he can lead us home.''

''We are home,'' Gally stated. Brows furrowed as he pointed to the side of the wall where Skylar could see her name crossed out. ''Okay? I don't wanna have to crossed anymore names off that wall.''

Skylar scoffed, causing heads to turn to her. ''You really think banishing is gonna solve anything?''

''No.'' Gally glared at the brunette. ''But this isn't a banishing. It's an offering.''

''What?'' Skylar felt the grip on her become tighter as was shoved against the wooden pole. Dan grabbed her wrists, pulling them over her head, and tied them together to keep her there. The girl pulled at the ties.

Turning her head to her old friend, she called out to him. ''Gally, what are you doing?''

''You really think I'm gonna let Thomas back into the maze after what he done? Or you? You let them in! Who's to say they will attack us again.'' Gally told her. ''Look around you! Look at our Glade! This is the only way. And when the Grievers get what they came for... everything goes back to the way it was.''

''Are you listening to this?'' Skylar struggled against her restraints. Her brown eyes turned to Newt and Minho who were glancing at each other. The plan was going quickly as they gave her a signal. ''Why are you all standing there? He's crazy!''

''You shut up.'' Gally snapped at her, pointing his machete in her direction.

''If you stay here, The Grievers are going to come back... until you're all dead!'' Skylar turned to the other boys in hope they'd listen. They all had a soft spot for Skylar and she could see that some of them were hesitant.