Chapter 5 - Night in the Maze

Skylar led the way while Thomas and Minho were carrying Alby's unconscious body. Passing through a couple of pathways, they found themselves in between what Skylar figured was Sector Two but she could be wrong. It was harder to go through the maze at night. They could barely see what's in front of them.

It was obvious Minho was struggling to carry Alby due to exhaustion. They sat Alby down on the side of the wall. Skylar looked down on the side of the wall. Skylar looked around with a bow and arrow in her hand just around any grievers being nearby.

''This isn't gonna work.'' she heard Minho say.

A loud screech came from the distance and the three all turned their heads and the three all their heads to where it came from. Minho started pacing, running his hand through his hair. ''We got to go. We got to go.''

''I'm not going to leave Alby Min,'' Skylar told him, hands on her lips. ''Wait, w-what are you talking about? We gotta do something. We gotta hide him.'' Thomas argued, referring to Alby. Skylar was starting to panic as well and with Thomas's lack of knowledge about the maze and how it worked, she was starting to get frustrated with him but tried not to show it.

''Where?'' Minho gritted his teeth.

''I don't know. Are you telling me there's not a single place we could hide him?'' Having enough of Thomas's lip, Minho snapped in frustration and went for Thomas's collar. He shoved the teen boy back onto the wall next to Alby and stared him down.

''Minho!'' Sky shouted, in anger and shock. She tried her best not to yell as not to draw attention to any grievers.

''Listen to me, shuck-face, all night. Take a look around. There's nowhere to go!'' He protested, gripping onto Thomas's shirt tighter. ''You don't get it. We're already dead.''

Keeping a hand on one of the daggers on her leg holsters, Skylar knelt down beside Minho with her other hand to his bicep. ''Let him go, Min, or I swear to you It will be much worse like Bonfire Night I did to you two months ago.''

Noticing how scared and the shakiness of Sky's voice, Minho relaxed. The Keeper's shoulders slumped, his grip on the brown-eyed boy loosening, his grip on the brown-eyed boy losing. As much as he was frustrated at this, Skylar was protective over Thomas and he respected her.

The screeching noises continued only making Skylar feel uneasy. Thomas however, paid no attention to Minho's word. He walked past the angry runner. Skylar followed his gaze, landing on the wall filled completely with thick vines and ivy compared to the other walls. The two shared a glance, nodding at each other in understanding.

***

 ''Two... Three...'' Thomas counted, grunting along with Skylar and Minho as they pulled up Alby's body tied to the ivy. They kept pulling until they couldn't pull on any more rope.'' Minho!'' Sky shouted, in anger and shock. She tried her best not to yell as not to draw attention to any grievers.

''Listen to me, shuck-face, all night. Take a look around. There's nowhere to go!'' He protested, gripping onto Thomas's shirt tighter. ''You don't get it. We're already dead.''

Keeping a hand on one of the daggers on her leg holsters, Skylar knelt down beside Minho with her other hand to his bicep. ''Let him go, Min, or I swear to you It will be much worse like Bonfire Night I did to you two months ago.''

Noticing how scared and the shakiness of Sky's voice, Minho relaxed. The Keeper's shoulders slumped, his grip on the brown-eyed boy loosening, his grip on the brown-eyed boy losing. As much as he was frustrated at this, Skylar was protective over Thomas and he respected her.