Chapter 3 - Losing a Friend

Skylar opened her eyes, jolting awake, her movements. Skylar panted and placed a hand on her chest to calm her breathing. Skylar had visions ever since she came out of the box. Sometimes it would be bad experiences playing over and over. A dream of seeing a Griver was a memory and she wondered if the other dreams were memorized as well.

She changed quickly into her running gear and packed her weapons, her curly dark hair was tied into a bun. She was going inside the Maze with Minho. Chuck would wake up early to greet Skylar before her run.

''Thomas craved his name.'' He exclaimed smiling up at her. ''He craved it next to yours.''

''He did?'' Skylar questioned. Glazing at Minho who held the same expression.

''You two should take care of yourselves,'' Newt said, walking up to the three of us. He patted Minho's shoulder and the two exchange nods. Skylar smiled at the English blond and give him a quick nod.

''We will, Newt,'' Skylar told him. ''I know, you don't miss a shot.'' referring to my bow and arrow I take with me in case Skylar and Minho run into a Griver. She smiled once more. Skylar patted Chuck's cheek as she got ready with Minho for the doors to open. Once they did, they ran inside swiftly, taking a new route to see what changed.

''I heard you talking in your sleep last night,'' Minho said. They were on their way back to the Glade and the only thing Skylar's mind was her dream last night. Minho, Newt, and Alby knew about her nightmares but that was all they knew. Skylar never told them what actually happened in them.

''You alright Sky?'' Minho asks. Shifting his gaze towards the Asian boy. He saw her purse her lips before nodding. ''Yeah... it's just a dream.''

As soon as they got back, Minho headed straight to the Map Room to find a different route to lead out the Maze but Skylar wanted to be alone for a moment. Minho was quick to understand. Even if he didn't know what she dreamt about.

Skylar was using trees as she practiced her archery. The sun painting her skin, her brown skin glowed in the sunlight. She thought about her dream once more. Trying to recall what happened but most of the time she can't. They would vanish out of her mind as if they never happened, only leaving her with parts of it.

Sighing under her breath, her hand reached over the elastic that held her bun. Sliding it off, letting her curls fall freely over her shoulders. She walked further into the woods, hearing a few screams and groans of pain. This confused her. Skylar ran towards the commotion finding two boys on the ground, one of them choking the other.

''Hey!'' She called out but her eyes widened at the boys who turned to face her. Thomas was under an angry Ben and he didn't look okay. Ben throat only to growl at the female in front of him.

''Ben?'' Her head tilted in confusion. He looked different. His skin was paler. Eyes bloodshot. ''What are you-''

''You!'' Ben charged towards Skylar, growling shoved her to the ground. He hovered over her, his weight referring her from pushing him off. ''You were there!''

''I saw you too!'' Skylar couldn't understand why her friend was saying those things to her. She struggled underneath the larger boy, trying to punch her way out of this position. Thomas gained back his breath and went to help her. ''I saw you both.''

He needed something to hit Ben with to get him off. Taking a skull from the ground he swung his wrist and hit the Glader's head with the object. While he was momentarily distracted, Lia uses her dagger to slice across Ben's face and push him aside before scrambling to her feet. Her heart was beating fast as what was happening. She didn't understand why Ben would attack.