Chapter 1- The Glade

I was the only girl for three years. That's how long most of the people have spent their lives in the Glade. Surrounded by stone walls that separate them from the maze and the world outside.

Skylar was a runner and one who made sure everyone do their jobs and follow the rules.

Skylar considered herself grateful that she only suffered a year living inside the walls but still, she knew the situation wasn't friendly- She loved the Glade. The people around her made living a little better.

Skylar was in a meeting with the Runners, discussing a new plan of mapping the Maze

Skylar was in a meeting with the Runners, discussing a new plan of mapping the Maze. The way they used it, didn't work. They had tons of maps lying around and they were getting nowhere. They had figured out that they needed to find a pattern, so that's what they had to do.

That day, a new Glade would come up the box that sent them there. A new person would be trapped in here with them. Another Greenie would experience fear and unable to remember anything at all.

''The Box is coming up!'' I heard one of the boys call outside. I look at Minho.

''Let's meet the Greenie,'' Skylar stated. He shrugged and took the lead to the box.

Skylar secretly wanted it to be a girl. It wasn't easy being the only girl living with almost fifty boys. She had experienced and quite a lot of judging at first but later on they all knew Skylar could handle herself well and knew how to fight.

Everyone, including Skylar, stepped towards when the box stop abruptly, and Gally swung open the doors. A fairly good-looking boy was sitting inside the box, shielding his eyes from the sunlight, just like Skylar done when she arrived in the Glade. He was tall and muscular with dark brown hair, around her age maybe. He wore a faded blue sleeve dreamed with water. Similar to hers along with pants and shoes.

She noticed the new Greenie look around before landing his eyes on her. For a moment, it seemed like this had happened before. Skylar felt a sense of recognization with how the boy's eyes stared into her but soon broken by the sound of the other boys and made her look away.

Gally jumped inside and grabbed him by the arm, yanking him from the box and throwing him on the floor in front of us. The Greenie looked at the circle that formed around him just a few seconds longer before he got up and started running away.

His eyes had triggered something inside of Skylar and her heart accelerated she quickly shook off the feeling.

''We got a Runner!'' Zart exclaimed.

The Greenie was headed towards the only entrance to the Maze causing Skylar to bite her lip, nervously. Everyone else around her didn't seem as afraid for him. Her eyes followed as he kept running only to wince at the sight of him tripping and tumbling down on the ground. The boys let out hollers and laughs and continued to laugh at his state. Skylar shook her head in disapproval before walking off back into the Homestead once she saw Gally and Zart take the boy by the collar and shoved him into the pit.