2. My Knight in Shining Armor (Shin Ryujin)

RYUJIN POV

They said that a duty of a king is to rule and serve the people while the knights are the ones that uphold their ideologies and protect the people. As a child I always admired the knights because my father and mother always told me about different knightly adventures as my bedtime stories. It also helped that both my parents were once part of the executive order that protected the royal family.

Because of that I made a decision at a young age to be a knight myself. My parents supported me through this dream by teaching me the different etiquettes as well as different weapon proficiency. So of course when I came of age, I went to the capital to enlist myself as a knight.

I remember the night before I left for the capital my father and I had a serious talk. He said that once I get into the capital my morals and beliefs would be tested. I was confused with what he said and I asked him a lot of questions about it. My father refused to answer them directly and he just told me that it was better if I saw it with my own eyes.

I went to my bed thinking about what my father said about my morals and beliefs being tested. I tried my best to make sense out of it but nothing came to mind so I just went to sleep. When morning came I bid my parents farewell and both of them gave me a long and loving embrace.

My mother then whispered to my ear, "Remember what we taught you Ryujin. Knights are to protect the powerless and defeat the evil." With that goodbye I made my way to the capital.

When I arrived there were many individuals who were lining up as well. Men, women, adults, children, even non-humans were there. The Grandmaster Lancelot was the one that held the exam, he said that out of everyone here only 100 will be inducted. This caused a more competitive and heavy atmosphere but I was confident enough with my skills that I would get in.

I remember the tests were gruelling and painful which made many back out because they couldn't handle it. The sun was setting when we just finished the last test and I saw that there were about twenty people left. Grandmaster Lancelot congratulated all of us and told us that we were more than he expected to pass.

From that day forward my dream to become a knight started...

However as time passed by I realized that not everyone shares the same vigor as me. Some chose to just drink rather than go to their duties. They often neglect work and pass the responsibility to their squires who have no right to complain or else they will be seen as deviant. I remember my father's words and I understood what he finally meant.

I was lucky enough to rise the ranks quickly due to me proving my skills over and over again to my superiors. In just a few years I was already part of the executive order just like my parents were. I was thrilled to learn this and immediately wrote to my parents about my recent achievements but I also wrote about the things that I have seen.