"Marketing me?"

"Personalities attract more attention. In this business, most foodies want to know who's in the kitchen."

"But I'm a nobody."

"We'll make the public see you as a somebody. That's our goal with marketing."

"But you don't even know my cooking."

"If you were good enough to attract John, then you're more than good enough to promote."

As we passed them, I nodded toward all the chefs and cooks gathered around the prep tables. "But the cooking is done by the team."

"Focused and coordinated by you. By your vision and your skills. In most kitchens, the executive chef does far more inspiring and creating than cooking."

"True."

"Suong had told me about the origin of the Hot Potato name, and we can weave a fine story around that."

I pointed back toward the dining room. "Among the things they've come up with is to play with potatoes on the menus, something new and featured every day, subtly underlining the name. We're blessed to have Pemberton so near with its twenty-seven varieties, and I've decided to use none but them."

"Excellent! More expensive, but the quality is well worth it – the potatoes of choice in Vancouver's top kitchens. We'll incorporate this in the promotion. Is your thought to continue the direction Arnie and Freddy had set?"

"The more I see what it had been, the more I'm impressed. I've been cloistered in top-end kitchens for the past several years, and I've missed the growth of premium casual. My intention is to match or exceed the quality of Pearls, Bacchus, Boaters, and so on – but at lower prices."

"Aggressive. You've chosen a tough row to hoe."

"With our central prep kitchen reducing the work, wastage and spoilage, we can move in at the top at lower cost. You could use this in your marketing."

"The quality, yes. But not the comparison to others, nor any mention of central prepping."

I nodded. "Ah, yes, the potential of being seen as defamation. But why not the central prepping? Besides the team, that's our greatest feature."

"Diners want to believe the plates are prepared specifically for them."

"So, we'll be deceiving them."

"No, not at all. In most restaurants – even the top-end ones – menu items are assembled from prepped ingredients, some in-house, but much of it processed by the food suppliers. It's just that the unaware public believe it's more immediate."

"Yes, of course. We did this at Cardinal's."

When we arrived in the office, Cynthia set her portfolio on the table and opened it. "I've an engagement contract here for us to review, to add specifics and to sign."

"To sign? But I won't own the company until tomorrow."

"To allow us to begin, I'll accept your personal signature. Tomorrow, we'll modify it to shift the liability to the company."

As we worked our way through the contract, I agreed to have her commission and oversee the design of a website. Also, to have her set up social media accounts and create content. When that was done, she said, "Once the company is rolling again, you'll gradually take over running these."

"Hmmm! I have very little experience with those."

Cynthia chuckled. "No, not you specifically. Among the roles of the GM is to direct and oversee the internet content. High IT proficiency should be a major criterion in choosing one – which reminds me." She pulled a sheet of paper from her portfolio. "My list of those looking."

I scanned down the page, then stopped and blurted, "Oh, my God!"

"What is it?"

"Marcy Wong. She didn't tell me she's looking."

"Been on my list for a long time. Fishing with very high standards. Difficult to place. How do you know her?"

"We did VCC together. Roommates through that, and we've been close friends ever since."

"She'd be perfect for here – if you can entice her – she's already in the dream position of many."

<><><>

Points to consider in this chapter:

What do you think of Cynthia and her brusque style?

Does Marcy being on the list surprise you? Or had you foreseen it?

If you enjoyed this chapter, please click the star to let me and Wattpad know.

Hot Potatoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें