Chapter 31

📍 Riga, Latvia | May 2024

"Fucking great," Sapphire groaned, looking ahead of them.

"Ah! How'd you find us now?" Bucky shouted at Walker and Lemar, going down the stairs.

"Come on, man. You really think two Avengers can walk around Latvia without drawing attention?"

"No more keeping us in the dark," Walker said. "You could start by telling us why you broke him out of prison."

"He did that himself, technically," Bucky replied.

"This better be an unbelievable explana-" Walker threatened.

"Hey, take it easy before it gets weird," Sam stopped him.

"I know where Karli is," Zemo told Walker.

"Well, where?" Walker exclaimed.

"All we know is, it's a memorial. So, we're gonna intercept her there. That means civilians. High risk of casualties."

"All right, good, we'll move in fast. Take her by surprise," Walker said which made Sapphire roll her eyes.

"No, I wanna talk to her alone. I'm not losing her again," Sam told him.

They bantered more and arguing with Walker, as Sapphire saw the little girl from the compound earlier. She dragged Zemo by the back of his collar out of Walker's face, moving towards the young girl.

"Do what you have to do," Sapphire spoke to Zemo, which he nodded at, while fixing his collar and handing out a bill to the small girl.

The child motioned to them to follow her.

"Karli's in there," Sapphire said as the girl pointed inside the building.

"All right," Sam nodded while Zemo groaned because of John holding his wrist behind his back.

"Hey. You got ten minutes," Walker called out to Sam.

"Really?" Zemo asked as the handcuffs locked on him.

"Then we're doing things my way," John finished.

"Aggressive," Zemo commented. "But, I get it."

"I'm going with you," Sapphire passed by Sam, entering the building.

Sam threw his hand up, turning to Bucky, "You're not gonna stop her?"

Bucky leaned against the entrance of the door, "She can handle herself."

Sam nodded, taking a deep breath.

"She's right, you know. She can feel the mind. I trust her with my life," Bucky told him, making Sam nod.

Sam found Sapphire watching by an open window, hearing Karlo speak about the deceased.

"Look, I'm-" Sam was cut off by Sapphire, remaining to be passive, "Shut it."

Sam sighed, watching and hearing Karli talk.

"They imposed struggle and hardship on us, then labeled us as criminals for pushing back. But the struggle is what brings us all together. People who have nothin' in common. For we are, after all, simply one world and one people. So live accordingly," Karli finished.

When everyone paid their respect, Sapphire and Sam went down to her.

"I saw you back there," Karli told them.

"We came alone. We just wanna talk," Sam spoke.

"Bold of you," She let out a remark.

"I'm sorry for your loss," Sam said.