Chapter 29

📍 Madripoor, Southeast Asia | May 2024

"I'm never riding with you, ever again!" Sam hopped out of the car as soon as Sapphire came to a stop on the tarmac where Zemo's plane awaits.

Sapphire let out a wicked chuckle before stepping out of the car, "Apparently, sportsmanship is not in your vocabulary, Sam."

"Oh, I'm a sport," Sam glared at her. "When it's not my life on the line!"

"I think I lost my hearing from all the screaming," Zemo spoke calmly, rubbing his right ear.

They all walked up to the plane. Sapphire groaned, plopping down the seat across from Bucky, who is wiping his hand.

Sam was talking on the phone, "Okay. Call me if you get a hit. Thanks, Torres." He sighed, sitting down.

"You okay?" Bucky asked.

"Yeah," he nodded. "Just thinking about all the shit Sharon had to go through. And Nagel referring to the American test subject like Isaiah wasn't even a real person."

"You too," Sam turned to Sapphire, who shrugged and looked out of the window. "Just makes me wonder how many people have to get steamrolled to make way for this hunk of metal."

"Well, it depends on who you ask," Sapphire uttered. "That hunk of metal saved a lot of lives."

"Yeah, I get that. All right. Maybe I made a mistake," Sam confessed.

"You did," Bucky and Sapphire both agreed.

"Yeah. Maybe I shouldn't have put it in a museum. Maybe I should have destroyed it," Sam said.

"Look, that shield represents a lotta things to a lotta people, including me," Bucky argued with him. Sapphire snapped her head to him.

The shield meant more to Bucky than everyone else expects. It was a part of Steve and his past. His life.

"The world is upside down, and we need a new Cap, and it ain't gonna be Walker. So before you go and destroy it, I'm gonna take it from him myself," Bucky told Sam.

Sam's phone vibrated before he could reply to him. "Yeah. Yeah. Okay. Thanks. Good work," Sam ended the call. "They found Madani... Dead. She died in Riga, a city near the Baltic Sea."

"I have a place we can go," Zemo spoke, sitting across from Sam. "I, for one, am looking forward to coming face to face with Karli."

"Oeznik, we're changing the course," Zemo ordered.

"Well, I'm gonna go change," Sapphire said, standing up and going to the restroom.

Once she finished changing, she leaned on the sink. The year 2005 flashed in front of her eyes where she first saw Nagel.

People would say that she was lucky for being a prized possession of Dr. Petrov's because what happened to Isaiah was much worst, but she understood him to some extent.

Because she may not be a guinea pig, but she was a trained dog to them.

And a few more flashbacks, she'll be having another breakdown that would let her lose control over her wits.

Sapphire did not want to hurt anyone anymore.

"Doll," Bucky knocked on the door, snapping out from her trance.

"Yeah?" She asked, calming down the gleaming in her eyes that she didn't notice changed.

"Open," he said. He knew seeing Nagel affected her greatly. He just had to check up on her instead of letting her hide.

Sapphire sighed because he knew her too well. "Can you wait?" She asked softly.

"Open," Bucky was having none of it.

Sapphire unlocked the door, letting it open as she grasped her face between her hands with her elbows on the sink.

Bucky leaned his metal hand on the sink and rubbed her back with the other.

Sapphire was glad that he didn't speak because she doesn't know what to say at the moment. Her head is spinning in different directions, but she was glad he was there.

She held his hand that was on the sink, caressing his knuckles.

They stood there in the small space of the lavatory in silence, comforting each other.

"Is she good?" Sam broke their silence, seeing Sapphire crouched down on the sink while Bucky's hand rubbed her back. He stood by the opened door, "Did she vomit? Are you pregnant?"

Sapphire laughed, shaking her head and straightening her posture. Bucky rolled his eyes, going out with Sapphire.

"I mean they would be cute though. You know? Your babies," he called after them.

"I know. I've seen it," Bucky said after they both sat down on their previous seats.

"Watchu talkin' bout you've seen it?" Sam asked.

"I had a dream," Bucky breathed out, leaving it at that.

Bucky looked at her with a sad smile on his face. He thought of her being pregnant. He just wish that he'll let her be a part of that journey if it happened. 

Sapphire gripped the necklace he gave her inside the pocket of her leather jacket.

How they both wish life was that easy. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------