[ 60 ]

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓

𝙲𝙾𝙼𝙵𝙾𝚁𝚃 𝚃𝙷𝚁𝙾𝚄𝙶𝙷 𝚂𝙽𝙾𝚆

┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

SUGGESTED SONG: Winter Aid, the wisp sings.

As December first fell upon the world, August was no longer locked up in room three two-seven or the girls dormitory. It seemed as the death of Kendra Nott not only impacted the life of August Hestia Gaunt, but also the Nott family.

Kendra's younger brother, was also being looked at or barely even noticed by everyone. Except for his closest friends and August. On her second week of mourning, she finally managed to approach him. She just said "I am so sorry."

The boy broke down into her arms. He was only two years younger than she was, and he was broken. His whole life was falling apart because of family and there were so many other students in Hogwarts who were in the exact same position. It may not be their parents getting the consequences as of now, but their children are recieving chaos and pain because of their parents mistakes.

It seemed since that day, the boy became fond of her, always talking to her when in need of someone or just to even say hi. And she didn't mind it at all.

But, thankfully, she was all alone today. The Marauders and her dorm-mates were spending almost all day and every day trying to comfort her because they thought she just wanted comfort and happiness around her. When really, she was just in need of some time to breathe her own air.

With snow finally hitting a week before, there was a large amount of snow now on the castle grounds. In some areas, reaching students knee high. Some extremely tiny first years shoulders even.

She sat with her coats warming her up as the snow fell down from the skies. She let her eyes close as she smiled softly feeling the cold touch on her cheeks which were tinted red from the cold.

All of her friends had distanced themselves from her and she could feel the pain from it in her chest every time she thought about it. Friends aren't suppose to leave, they're suppose to be beside you through it all. The only thing that stops you from doing that is death.

And her friends weren't dead, were they? Or was this all just some optical illusion. A trick playing in her eyes. Or was she secretly in a coma? Living the life she always dreamt of. No, the pain she felt was too real to have this all to be fake.

August took in one more breath before picking up a pile of snow and letting her face fall into it to remind herself that it was all real.

August sat between James and Sirius in Charms writing her essay when it happened. The two boys on her side were chuckling under their breath at something they said when Professor McGonagall entered the room abruptly.

Few students looked at one another slightly confused while others didn't even bat their eyes at her. The small Charms teacher climbed down from the stack of books and made way to the Gryffindor head, and August simply shrugged her shoulders before looking back down into her essay.

"I could use some help right now." Sirius whispered huskily and August frowned as she looked up at him.

"Why are you talking like that?" She asked the boy before looking back at her work.

"If you know what I mean, Augs."

She didn't. She truly didn't understand what Sirius Orion Black meant by needing "help." His work was going rather well, surprisingly, what did he need help with? August looked up at him with her brows still knitted before tilting her head slightly and the boy took a deep breath realizing she didn't understand.

But as he opened his mouth to say something, the two teachers looked at their group. "Miss Gaunt, if you will, please collect your things."

"I'm expelled." August muttered in a slight panic before collecting her things and sending one confused look towards her friends whom were in the room before looking at her head of house to see a very saddened and guilty look plastered on her face which caused her frown to deepen before looking back at James and Sirius who were watching just as intently. 

"You'll be coming with me to the headmaster's office." She explained with a very sad expression in her voice. August nodded slowly before looking behind her towards her friend with a very worried expression before closing the door.

"Professor, believe me, I have-"

"Done nothing wrong." She said with a slow nod. "This isn't about school right now."