[ 24 ]

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓

𝚃𝙷𝙴 𝙶𝚁𝙴𝙰𝚃 𝙰𝙵𝙵𝙰𝙸𝚁

 ┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

"Where were you all day?" Marlene asked the girl as she sat down at the table with a grin.

"Oh, you know... from one part of the castle to the other in a blink of an eye." She said with a small grin as she placed some sausages and mash onto her plate. "What were you all doing today?"

"We were soaking up the last of the sun near the black lake." Alice said with a small smile, "It was beautiful outside!"

"Ah, yes, beautiful because she couldn't take her eyes off of Longbottom." Marlene muttered with a smirk, Lily and August quickly giggling at her words causing Alice to snap her head to them in confusion.

"What?"

"Oh, nothing." August said smirking before waving her hand at her, "Nothing in particular." She giggled before placing some broccoli, cauliflower, carrots with cheese to go on top on her plate. Alice only stared in confusion before shrugging and looking away.

"Anyways, Christmas is in a few weeks..." Lily said, August sighing at the mention. "It'll be great!"

"For you all." August muttered before placing some mash in her mouth.

"I'm sure you'll be alright..." Lily said softly, but August snapped her head at the girl.

"My mother is hosting the bloody Christmas ball! I'm going to have to wear a very different dress! And all of the pure-blooded families will be there!" August said groaning, but Sirius appeared over her shoulder causing her to shriek in shock.

"I heard something about a Christmas ball for pure-bloods?" 

"Yes, Siri. You heard it right." August said sighing, "My dear old mother will be hosting our four year annual Christmas party. Hooray!" She said making the hooray sound extremely sarcastic. "Fantastic, isn't it? And get this! She'll be making it as a bloody masquerade! I tell ya, if she get's me a hideous mask I might throw up all over the ballroom floor!"

"I'm sure it'll be better than you make it sound." Lily said trying to seem optimistic.

"Yeah, your mother hosts some of the best balls ever!" Sirius said with a grin before he and August both began to smirk, "Not like that."

"Ah, yes. My mother knows some good balls." August said giggling before sighing. "How much longer till Christmas?"

"A week-"

"A WEEK BEFORE THE CHIRSTMAS BREAK?"

From that conversation onwards, August was sluggish around the castle. The Marauders and the girls knew why and tried their best to reason with her, but as she sat on the couch upside down staring into the flames, they realized how horrid it must be.

"Straight back! Smile! Not too much! Watch your step!" August said mocking her mother, head tilting, insulting faces and many more actions, eyes rolling constantly. "My dear mother- needing the perfect daughter."

The Marauders stared rather sad at the girl. A day before the present, August had received a letter. From the woman she kept insulting for days.

Dear August Hestia Gaunt,

I am pleased with your behavior of this term so far, however,
the reason I am writing your letter is not about school.

I will be hosting our annual Christmas Ball.
But, it will be a masquerade. I expect you to be on your best behavior on Christmas night.
 All of the pure-blooded families will be there, and I expect you to be ready.

Many families are offering their son to have your hand in marriage. 

Do not make a fool of myself or our family name.

Sincerely,
Pomona Gaunt.

"You better be ready, Sirius!" August said looking at the boy. "Because you and I are going to be very good friends that night! And please don't make a scene..." She said death glaring him, however he smiled and nodded at the girl. "Gosh, I am not ready."

"Don't worry, we'll get champagne!" 

"No, we won't. My mother is putting the charm back on, after Malfoy getting too drunk the last time, she doesn't want it to happen again. And having you in the room, sheesh, I know it's a good thing that it'll be put forth." 

The boy sighed before smiling slightly. "Say, what are your balls like?" Peter asked her. Quickly, Remus paused himself from sketching and looked up, James smirked, Sirius and August quickly grinned before the other three Marauders and Gaunt laughed. "What- oh."

The group kept laughing loud, even to others displeasure, they kept laughing until August fell from the couch. Tears dripped from their eyes as they poured their heart into the laughter, their stomachs aching from the sudden pull. 

However, Sirius was the first to help her up. She sat on the couch next to him like a normal person wiping her tears as their laughter died out. "Well, Peter, my balls are rather large. I'm sure they're bigger than Black's." August laughed causing the other's to laugh, but Sirius gasped.

"My balls are not that small!" 

"Bet?" James said smirking.

"Oh, do you wanna see?" He smirked standing up, hand reaching towards his belt. August quick to shriek before forcing a pillow over her eyes. 

Sirius and James smirking to one another, "Why don't we take this upstairs?" 

"My ears!" August said causing the two to laugh. Sirius jumping into his lap and wrapping his hands around his neck, his legs kept together trying to seem as girly as one could get.

"What's up, baby?" James said making his voice seem deeper.

"Oh, my baby!" Sirius said making his voice many octaves higher than what it actually is. "I love you, so, so, so, much!"

"Oh, please." August said removing the pillow from her face. "We all know that you love me more." Her voice going deeper. "I'm stronger."

"But you're not me!" James said in his deep voice.

"But I'm better! And I'm hotter." She said with a smirk, the boy falling silent momentarily before squinting his eyes and smirking.

"And I've got bigger balls."

"That are often blue." She said leaning forward, the boy doing the same but holding tightly onto Sirius.

"They're only blue for one person." He said smirking and she couldn't help but stick her nose up.

"You're cheating on me!?" High-pitched Sirius gasped looking at him. "I'm leaving you!" He said before walking towards August and sitting in her lap, the girl groaning.

"You're bloody heavy!" She groaned in a deep voice.

"Good." Sirius said glaring at James who seemed shocked.

"What have we just witnessed?" Remus said questioning the thing. August shoved Sirius off of her lap, the boy dropping to the ground but August bowed in amusement. 

"The Great Affair." August said proudly before getting back into a comfortable position.

"Bloody hell, I think I'm bruised." Sirius said as he stood up, rubbing his thigh which he landed on, flicking his hair over his shoulder before sitting next to the girl with a grumpy pout. 

"Good." She said mocking the boy who looked shocked at her.

"Touché." 

For the rest of the night, the small group talked, laughed and joked about everything possible. Until Sirius felt someone begin to lean into him, making herself perfectly comfortable. She seemed half-awake as she conversed, but the boys noticed her answers becoming less and less, until the heard the softest snores from the smaller girl.

"Looks like we're going back to square one." Remus said amused.

"Meaning?"

"We all sleep out here, just like we did the very first night here at Hogwarts."