Thor Odinson x Reader - Red

Soulmate AU
This is just the first chapter of a book I began, but never got passed the second chapter 🥲

Y/N's P.O.V.

It was a Monday.
A horrible, rainy Monday.
I got the call around 9am, telling me that I had lost my job.

"It's nothing personal." My ex-boss had insisted, but the words meant nothing to me.
Everything in my life seemed to be falling apart, losing my job just added to my problems.
Everyone back home told me I wouldn't survivor out here in New York and I was beginning to think they were right.
My music blasted through my headphones as I moved down the street, my arms wrapped tightly around my waist.
When I had left my apartment, to go to the store, the weather seemed fine, so I thought a t-shirt and jeans was fine, but now I regretted not grabbing a hoodie, or at least a jacket.
I crossed the street and the next few moments happened very quickly.
A large dog-like creature appeared in front of me, making me freeze. It was nothing like I had ever seen, it was on all fours, with claws and large fangs.

"What the..." I muttered, barely hearing my own voice over the music blasting through my headphones.
I took a hesitant step back and the creature lowered its head, bearing its fangs, before charging forward.
My eyes widened and I tried to move, but my body froze on terror.
I squeezed my eyes shut as it got closer, but a large hand grabbed my arm, dragging me out of the way and pushing me back.
I hit the cold, wet ground hard, my headphones coming off, the music replaced by the sound of the heavy downpour.
There was a grunt and a whimper, before I hesitantly opened my eyes and the first thing I saw was red.
I had never seen anything but black, white and grey and I had no idea what 'red' had even looked like until that moment.
Then there was more than red.

"My lady..." A deep voice asked and I looked up at the man.
The man who touched my arm and threw my world into colour.
My soulmate. 
An Avenger.
His hand was outstretched towards me and I hesitated, before taking it. Tingles ran up my arm as he helped me off of the ground and I couldn't help but feel awkward.
I had dreamed of meeting my soulmate for as long as I could remember, but nothing could have prepared me for it.
"May I ask your name?"

"Y/N." I replied without hesitation, looking up and meeting his eyes.
"And you're Thor." His eyes lit up at hearing me say his name, a large grin spreading across his face.
"You're the God of Thunder."

"Yes. And you're my soulmate." He nodded, the grin not leaving his face. Suddenly, a look of slight confusion crossed his features and he reached up, touching the comms device in his ear.
His eyes met mine, their brilliant blue easily being the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

"You've got work to do." I spoke, seeing his torn expression.
"More of... whatever that thing is?" I looked at the very dead creature with a grimace.

"Unfortunately, yes. However, I have just met you after over a thousand years of searching. I do not want to lose you now." Thor spoke softly and I smiled at him as he hesitantly reached forward and brook my hand in his.

"Then let's meet again. Same time and place, tomorrow?" I suggested and he nodded eagerly, the grin returning to his face.

"Until then, Lady Y/N." Thor brought my hand up to his lips, kissing my knuckles gently, before turning and using his hammer go fly away.
As soon as he said my name, I felt a warmth in my chest unlike any I had ever explained, which was rather unusual, considering I was the Goddess of Fire and Warmth.

~

I arrived at the location a few minutes early, not that it mattered, because Thor was already waiting.
The rain had cleared overnight and someone had cleaned up the dead alien dog thing.
Thor wore a simple pair of jeans and a tight fitting t-shirt with a jacket, he had clearly made an effort with his hair, too.
I had decided on plain black leggings and my favourite sweatshirt, which, after years of owning it, I discovered was F/C.

"Thor." I smiled slightly as I approached the God. He had been on my mind since I had met him and to say I was excited was an understatement.

"Y/N- Lady Y/N, my apologies!" He stuttered out, clearly nervous.

"Please don't be so formal, Y/N is just fine." I smiled, hoping to calm his nerves.
"It's good to see you again."

"And you, Y/N." Thor bowed his head slightly.
We began to walk down the relatively busy street, neither of us knowing what to say or do.
"I was telling the truth yesterday. I've been looking for you for a very long time."

"I wasn't." I blurted out before I could stop myself.
"Telling the truth, I mean. I didn't lie, but I lead you on to believe that I'm mortal. I'm not."

"I know." Thor nodded, a small smirk on his face. I looked at him with wide eyes.
"I could tell you weren't mortal from the moment I laid my eyes on you."

"How?" Thor didn't respond to my question, but he did stop at a fast-food stand and order two hotdogs, before the owner insisted that the food was free for Avengers.

"Is Y/N your real name?" Thor asked as he handed the one of the napkin-wrapped hotdogs.

"It is the name I choose to go by, but not the name I was born with." Thor nodded at that statement.
"Would you prefer it if you knew my real name and what I am capable of?"

"If you're comfortable with telling me, I'm more than happy to listen. If not, I am happy to wait and learn more about you, first."