15. A SOULBOND IMPLIES ONE HAS A SOUL

⌠𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟓⌡───────»⁑«───────

⌠𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟓⌡
───────»⁑«───────

"Where, in the bloody hell, are you going?"

Charlie groaned inwardly at the sight of Rebekah Mikaelson standing in front of her. She and Stefan were about to reach the Salvatore Boarding house when the blonde (literally) swooshed in front of them, standing there with her resting bitch face, narrowing her eyes between Charlie and Stefan.

"Away," said Charlie simply, turning on her heels and starting to walk only to be stopped by Bekah again. "I'm not doing this, Bex."

"I know you're scared, Charlie—"

"I'm not scared," Charlie hissed. "I'm living my life the way I want to. So you can either kill me or step aside."

Rebekah didn't waver though. Like the badass bitch she is, she stood her ground, narrowing her eyes and flipping her hair back.

"I found a dead body on the road," Rebekah stated, changing the topic and Charlie feigned shock.

"Oh, dear. What happened?"

"Did you turn it off?" Rebekah asked Charlie and the latter tilted her head.

"Elaborate."

"Did you turn your humanity off?"

"Of course not," Charlie said rolling her eyes. "I'm not stupid, Bekah."

"Are you sure?" the blonde Orginal snapped back, crossing her arms in front of her and tilting her head. "Because running away seems pretty bloody stupid."

"I'm not running away, Bekah," Charlie said. "I'm going away."

Just then, Charlie heard another whooshing sound, and, taking a deep breath, she cursed herself, already knowing who it was before she turned around.

"Charlene—"

"It's Charlie, Niklaus," Charlie said, turning around to face him and Kol, in the process cutting the hybrid off and making him clench his jaw.

"Charlie, we just want to talk, darling," Kol said, putting his hands up in surrender, but then his eyes caught the Salvatore standing on the sidelines and looking uncomfortable and his jaw clenched. "What are you doing with him?"

"Oh," Charlie muttered looking at Stefan. "Stefan and I are going on a trip."

"Why?" Klaus gritted out and Charlie shrugged.

"I solved your doppelganger problem, Nik," she announced, changing the subject. "Just ask sweet Caroline for the details. You're welcome."

"I don't care about the bloody doppelganger!" Klaus shouted. "You can't go with him!"

"Nik, I'm not going with him," Charlie said exasperated, shaking her head. "He's going with me."

"You can't go anywhere, darling," Kol said, itching to just grab a hold of her and not let her go.

"I can and I will—"

"You're ours!"

"I am not YOURS!" Charlie burst, finally letting go of her blank expression and instead, replacing it with anger and too much emotion—something she did not want to show. "For all I care, those initials on your wrists could mean anything! I am not yours, and I'm certainly not going to let a fucking meaningless soulbond rule my fucking life!"

Kol and Klaus looked as if they had just been slapped in the face, staggering behind from her outburst, their faces contorting into heartbreak, not caring who saw it—it was only Charlie, Bekah, and Stefan and the latter they could kill if he blabbed.

"How could you say that?" Kol asked, his face now blank.

"Because, unlike you, I'm not naive," Charlie said, not breaking eye contact with them—though she was changing who to look at from time to time because even she couldn't maintain eye contact with two people at the time. "A soul bond implies one has a soul."

"We're not monsters! You don't need to be afraid of us!" Klaus snapped at her and Charlie merely rolled her eyes.

"I was talking about me," she said blankly. "I'm not sure I have a soul anymore and to be honest I don't care. So, like I said to Bex, you can either kill me or let me go."

When neither brother did anything, just gaped at Charlie—wondering how in hell she could think such thing of herself—, Charlie shook her head and gestured for Stefan to go with her. They left the siblings on the roadway, gaping at where they were standing, and went into Salvatore's garage, climbing into Stefan's car.

Stefan started the car and took off, only stopping when they reached the siblings, still standing there. This time Charlie let more than anger pass through her barriers and she looked at Kol and Klaus with real emotion in her face, something she could only show them.

"I am sorry you're stuck with my name on your wrists," Charlie said solemnly, doing her best not to let a tear fall of her voice crack. "You're out of luck."

And with that, Stefan hit the gas again and they were off.

"Where are we going?" asked Stefan.

Charlie turned to look at the horizon and wiped a tear before it fell from her eye, before putting a fake grin on.

"New Orleans."

»⁑«